JohnF

First varieties to ripen

Brown Berry, Mexican Honig, and Sungold

JohnF

And a few more

Early Girl-Zogola

[

Lonewolf

Nice varieties and impressive dried pods!

Which dehydrator do you use? How much time is required to get dried pods?

Thanks

JohnF

I use an American Harvest Snackmaster. I also use it to dry my peppers and herbs. I dries them at 130 degrees F so it took almost two days. There were 8 trays in the stack.

Lonewolf
I dries them at 130 degrees F

That's about 55° Celsius, good temperature.

JohnF

It seems to have helped the fruit retain it's color. I dry my peppers at 125 and they also retain their nice colors.

Stefania

Very nice colours.

Your peppers and tomatoes dried retained well original colours.

Lonewolf

I didn't notice loss in colour even at higher temperature (Severin without modifications works at over 70° Celsius (158° F).

However lower temperatures should preserve better the aroma and smell.

seemie

I didn't know tomatoes can be dried in the dehydrator.

My grandma dries them under the sun every year... it requires more than two days and some experience.

JohnF

Climate here too cool and damp to sun dry

chillibeginer

You really have nice tomatoes.

I have planted ten varieties this year, just to try. It finished in the worse of the ways. The plants and fruits became black and I had to throw everything away. Partly I am guilty for it because I decided not to use any fungicides or baktericides.

I love the esicated tomatoes with garlic and species in olive oil. Everyone should try it. Why don't we add some hot peppers too? I will give it a try with tomatoes that my father grew in his garden far from my little plot.

Mojca

JohnF

I have found a good way to control disease without use of chemicals is to put a put bark mulch under the plants and keeping the bottom branches cut off. This keeps the soil which contains many of the disease from splashing up on the leaves. And if I do get any funny looking leaves I cut them off to prevent possible spread.

I like a salsa fresca with the fresh tomatoes, onions garlic, hot peppers, cilantro, and a dash of lime juice.

Now I just need some corn chips and a cold beer.

Luca dalla Tailandia

The Salsa looks great!

I have found a good way to control disease without use of chemicals is to put a put bark mulch under the plants and keeping the bottom branches cut off. This keeps the soil which contains many of the disease from splashing up on the leaves. And if I do get any funny looking leaves I cut them off to prevent possible spread.

Sounds like a plan, - I have many problems with disease here in Thailand. Don't you have any good "Natural Prevention method" against fungus. That is what I am still not able to control. I've tried copper based solutions and wood vinager so far - but those fungus are hard to kill. Neem oil (while highly effective against bugs) is supposed to have anti bactrial and fungal properties as well, but little rescearch has be done.

I am still desperately looking for some (non chemical) effective prevention and cure against fungal infections, which appear during rany season and winter (even worse), when temperatures drop to around 25° C (North of Thailand) during daytime and we have morning mist.

Thanks,

chillibeginer

In tne area where I live and have my garden there is a really strong dew. I believe it is the main responsible for diseases of my tomatoes. People here construct plastic roofs or like plastic houses to protect tomatoes. I didnt do it, I though it was enough to use a preventive chemical while the plants were still young.

JohnF

To try to cut down on fungus you should give your plants lots of air around each plant. The more air circulation the better to cut down sprad of fungus.

Lonewolf

Mmm ... the salsa fresca looks great! :P

In italian its name should be "insalata (di pomodori)" as we use the term salsa for mix of ingredients where each single component isn't recognzable (whipped or whisked etc)

Yes, keep lower leaves and branches far away from soil is always a good idea, expecially when growing in soil (not in pots)

Luca dalla Tailandia
Mmm ... the salsa fresca looks great! :P

In italian its name should be "insalata (di pomodori)" as we use the term salsa for mix of ingredients where each single component isn't recognzable (whipped or whisked etc)

Right, but there are some exceptions. What John showed ist a Mexican type of Salsa - first (when I saw this type) I also did wonder why they just dice the tomatos and did not belend the whole enchilada. Or in other words, why they called salsa what in fact is something inbetween a salad and a sauce. And I guess it's because of the so called "texture". When you eat it (together, on top of or however) it gives you this special impression of a distinct consistance. You do not need to chew it, but still it has some "texture" as they say.

In Thailand we also have some sauces which have such a distinct texture, sometimes the ingrediants are just crushed, sliced or diced, sometimes you have quarter peanuts or whatever. In the typical "nam Pla" the small peppers are just roughly sliced and mixed with the fish sauce and vinager. "Full Blending" or cooking "to death "ist only one way of doing a sauce or salsa.

Btw: @ John I knew about spacing and aeration but in my case (as the morning fog spreads the fungus) it is not good enough. Found something meanwhile: milk powder, baking Soda, rhubarb spray, chamomile tea (sprayed as well) especially for small seedlings.

JohnF

Luca

There are many variations for a fresh salsa in Mexico and mine is one according to my sources. They can also be blended to make a smooth sauce and the ingredients varied.

Luca dalla Tailandia
Luca

There are many variations for a fresh salsa in Mexico and mine is one according to my sources. They can also be blended to make a smooth sauce and the ingredients varied.

Right John, there are many variations (of course) as ou say even blended. But then again we have salsas in Mexico and we have Salsa (also called Salsa Mexicana). It is the traditional salsa and dip that you can find on every restaurant table (as well as on the "family table") in most mexican Estados. It shouldn't be missing, as Mexicans put it over almost everything they eat! And yes, what you have on your picture is the Salsa :flowers:

Even though it was in 1981 when I traveled from Mexico City to Guatemala City (all by Bus), what I remember was that omnipresent Salsa... which I actually didn't like (at that time) because of the extra load of fresh coriander, something I had never tasted before. :lol:

Well, perhaps things might have changed since... :(