Sign in to follow this  
.:Dam:.

City Garden in Finland

Ciao a tutti!

Spring is coming so its time to put some seeds to grow and start diary about those plants. And of course there is some kind a problems with some plants, maggots eats roots and plants dies on my hands :ike: Good reason to put some new seeds and others too and learn from my fails... Some seeds did not woke up at all, Tabasco and Tabasco Greenleaf. Pimenta Da Neyde does not look good either. But, no worries, others looks fine.

IMG_3447.JPG

Picture about whats going on right now on kitchen small table. Mini greenhouse for new plants, tomatoes and capsicums. Tomatoes are Pantano Romanesco, Cherokee Purple, Ananas Noire and Mary Robinssons German Bi-Color. Capsicums are Lemon Drop, Quadrato d'Asti Rosso and Quadrato d'Asti Giallo. 7 seeds each. These are not all for me, some friends wants their own tomatoes from me.

Box in middle, more details about that below. Right corner, there is retry with those plants what maggots ate... CO 4318, CAP 907 and CO 4897. Also repotted as CAP 502, CAP 499, Capezzoli di Scimmia and Ulupica Large. New seeds, PI 631154 Flexuosum and Torenog and some plants to friend, Jalapeño, Lemon Drop, Thai Chili.

IMG_8168.JPG

Next box, picture is some days old and does not look like that anymore. Top left to right;

CAP 5482, Aji Cacho de Cabra, Pimenta Da Neyde, CAP 502 (removed to new position)

Fluoroscent Purple, Tabasco (dead, new seed), Tabasco Greenleaf (dead, new seed), Small Thai Hot

CAP 499 (removed to new position), Tepin, Capezzoli di Scimmia (removed to new position), Capsicum Lanceolatum

Newcomers are Habanero White Bullet and Habanero Yellow Bullet, no picture about those...

These are new babies, at some point I will post about older plants and little bit about where I suppose to grow these. I am not looking for massive harvest about these plants, this is just a hobby for me :spiteful:

Toolshed

Hi Dam, and welcome on Pepperfriends!

Are you going to carry on the whole plants' life cycle indoor or are going to get the plants outdoor? Even if you live in the south of your country, it should be quite cold also in spring there!!!

in any case, keep us updated and have a great 2013 season!!!!

Dario

maxi
:rofl: certo il clima da te non ti aiuta :shifty: ......................................... :good: buona coltivazione :good:

Mitrandin

Hi Dam and welcome!

your garden looks like nice! I've the same question posted by Toolshed. Will you move your plant outdoor? It will be a good opportunity for all of us (pepper maniac) to know how they could grow in not warm climate. Or.... maybe... I have a not a right knowledge about what kind of weather there is up there.. in this case... sorry!

please, let us know!

M.

Pepe d'India

Ragazzi, questa è passione per la coltivazione in casa!

Complimenti all'amico Finlandese!

Mitrandin

Ragazzi, questa è passione per la coltivazione in casa!

Complimenti all'amico Finlandese!

e la nostra comunità si allarga sempre di più!

:rofl: certo il clima da te non ti aiuta :shifty: ......................................... :good: buona coltivazione :good:

:logik: Surely not... Last summer was too wet and too cloudy. I hope this year is better for all of us.

IMG_7865.JPG

First of May 2012, first night outside.

IMG_2822.jpg

In the middle of august, 2012. So, growing indoor and at glazed balcony. I hope this summer is warm, about +30C° so Naga Morich wont be grape sized. This year I hope I can put some to grow at outside to ground. Chilifence or something. And I must do something to balcony, its not going to work like this anymore. Levels, shelves or something. Now we have +1C° and about 20 cm snow so I need to wait month or two..

Buona cultivazione a tutti!

grispa72

I wish you will reach your goal for these hot season!

I will follow your reports!

Paolo

maxi
:mellow::hyper::good:

Rapace

Ciao Dam !

In bocca al lupo ! = (break a leg !)

Well, for the ones which are not so familiar with english and/or Italian.... do not translate literally. The sentences above are not "bad greetings"....they really mean "Good luck" (.... and I don't mentioned the literal italian translation of "Good Luck" because it's often considered a very "unlucky" omen).

alemariacho

welcome to pepperfriends!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nice "greencorner"!!!

in summer there are 20°? 25°? 30°? how many?

Ciao Dam !

In bocca al lupo ! = (break a leg !)

Well, for the ones which are not so familiar with english and/or Italian.... do not translate literally. The sentences above are not "bad greetings"....they really mean "Good luck" (.... and I don't mentioned the literal italian translation of "Good Luck" because it's often considered a very "unlucky" omen).

Unlucky omen, jinx.

I like when you people write in Italian to me, its good way to learn Italian language.

in summer there are 20°? 25°? 30°? how many?

Depends. 20 C° to 30 C°.

Ilman_lämpötila_Turussa_vuonna_2011.png

Picture is from Wikipedia, maybe easiest way to explain weather here. Verde = average, rosso = highest and blu = lowest. Last year was a bit colder. Now its -11C°, tomorrow should be +1C°. Some Fins are already warming up their greenhouses with heaters because sun is up long enough, about 10 hours.

• Like 1

mayta

Ciao a tutti!

Spring is coming (...)

This dear little friend of mine lives on my balcony, and doesn't agree ... :brr:

post-974-0-07383700-1361780902.jpg

and it's still snowing post-974-0-59970700-1361781419.gif

:turned:

Maverick

Greatttt!!!.

You look like Superman!!. I think that growing pepper in that conditions (although you're well equipped) is difficult, but also of great satisfaction!!. :D

This dear little friend of mine lives on my balcony, and doesn't agree ... :brr:

post-974-0-07383700-1361780902.jpg

and it's still snowing post-974-0-59970700-1361781419.gif

:turned:

:rofl: Your tiny friend looks so proud of his snow "this is mine!" Last weekend was small blizzard, wind from north pole and about 15-20 cm more snow. Now its about knee high. But thats enough about weather.

About "garden", not so much happening right now. Tomatoes and Quadrato d'Asti rosso & giallos are up from soil.

IMG_8194.JPG

IMG_8182.JPG

Young plants are still small and young and older ones started to look like dying so I needed to move some furniture to give more light to those.

IMG_8197.JPG

Repotting to bigger pots.

IMG_8187.JPG

Needed to put better reading light to living room, 400w, because area was too big for 90w led what used to be on that place. Tomato Pantano Romanesco is only one what survived winter. And that looks quite dead too. I have 6 Pantano Romanesco babies now so it does not matter so much.

Habanero Yellow started to flower and now those flowers seems to stay on position and not drop so easily. Jalapeño got first pod but I needed to cut that branch off because it started to be off the balance. NuMex Twilight has also one tiny pod upwards. Black Naga looks like its starting to flower too, last year it did not even do that :logik:

Alfreggae

What a strange thing should be a sunny night :rofl:

What a strange thing should be a sunny night :rofl:

400W HPS with Cooltube, tubo and small fan. Its off in nights, only few hours after sun goes down. It gives more light than yard lights at our buildings yard. Neighbours are not so big fans of that but they are maybe got used to things I do and ways too.

IMG_8206.jpg

Chocolate Fatalii is now biggest in height. My cat dropped on it at summer and it went from 1.5 meters to 15 cm in seconds. Now it looks just fine and started to bloom too.

IMG_8215.JPG

Capezzoli di Scimma twins has grown a bit. High hopes on these two.

IMG_8217.JPG

In other hand, Abbraccios looks still so tiny. Gatta ate small bit from one leaf and those are in too big pot I think. I have made olive oil with these and its quite good, I want to make that again but this time with my own pods.

IMG_8223.JPG

Seeding corner in my kitchen. A bit dark picture because bright light from lamp. But, not much space but enough for plants and for me for coffee making.

I have totally forgot to tell you people what chilies do I have now growing. Some are too small to tell whats happening with those but these I have growing with more than 2 leaves;

Annuums

Abbraccio

Aji Cacho de Cabra

Cherry Bomb (maybe dying now, small spiders attacked)

Fluoroscent Purple

Jalapeño

Malawi Bird´s Eye

Mushroom Yellow

NuMex Bailey Piquin

NuMex Twilight

Small Thai Hot

Annuum var. glabriusculum

Tepin

Baccatum

Aji Cristal

Champion

Criolla Sella

Lemon Drop

Heart Throb

Starfish

Baccatum var. pendulum

C0 4318

Cardenasii var. pendulum

Ulupica Large

Chacoënce

CAP 499

CAP 501

Chinense

Bhut Jolokia

Black Naga

Capezzoli di Scimmia

Caterpillar

Chocolate Fatalii

Habanero Sudden Death

Habanero Yellow

Naga Morich

Trinidad Perfume

Frutescens

CAP 502

Duke Pequin

Capsicum Lanceolatum

Praetissum

CAP 1487

Pubescens

Canario

PI 585273

Turbo Pube Red

Capsicum Rhomboideum

Maybe Habanero White Bullet and Habanero Yellow Bullet, Pimenta da Neyde, CAP 5482, flexuosum and Tabasco if those comes to life. CAP 907 maybe too. Maybe after month or two we know.

• Like 2

Lonewolf

Very nice list!

I think it's necessary a great passion to grow chile peppers where lowest temperatures are below zero 8 months per year ...

Compliments!

• Like 1

Very nice list!

Tante Grazie! I´ve seen your list and that is very nice too.

I think it's necessary a great passion to grow chile peppers where lowest temperatures are below zero 8 months per year ...

Compliments!

This week was almost a record about temperature in Finland, most north village had -38 C°. I got only -22 C° at night, where I live. Spring is late, 5 C° less than normally this time a year and snow everywhere. But, that does not stop us! Today I went to one greenhouse, there was chili day. New plants available to purchase, 7 € each. Chili gelatto, chili candy, naga morich biscuits and so on. Also growing materials, pots, NFT systems and other aqua growing systems. I bought 6 coconut bricks and some fertilizes and because there was no frutescens plants yet, I bought some seeds. Cumari Pollux, Mata Frade, Cap 115/489/144/1141/1144/215/1145 and some others too. Not planting those at this year, maybe.

IMG_8236.JPG

Habanero Yellow making fruit and some flowers too. I started to give fertilizers because that plant thinks it has conditions good enough.

IMG_8240.JPG

Whole plant. Also you can see in this picture a bit about coconut bricks. 6 bricks for 15€ and one brick is about 10 liter after soaking in water, 30 minutes. Should keep water as perlite does. Maybe good addition to soil and perlite, will see about that later this year. Spot a cat in this picture.

IMG_8243.JPG

One of oldest plants got fertilizers too and looks like it liked it a lot. Lot of new branches and verde leafs. This blooms every winter and summer but now it has some extra flowers too. I don´t know what this plant actually is. Annuum that is by flowers but pods grows upwards as frutescenses does. Small fruit, peppy and brilliant to put pasta dough few of those. Quite similar to Abbraccio. I grew this as Tabasco but its not. No green in flowers and point of fruit is sharp, not blunt.

IMG_8258.JPG

Repotted Ulupica Large and Lanceolatum in pots where is sand on top. Ulupica on left.

Mushroom Yellow, Malawi Bird´s Eye and Cherry Bomb are now about dead. I did not find any "Edit" button so I could overwrite those ones. Maybe next time I will post pictures about all the plants I have growing and hopefully I have done some repotting for small ones as Fluoroscent Purple and Aji Cacho De Cabra.

AleSpaggia

Hi, very beautiful list and marvellous plants!!

Lonewolf

Thanks for this update.

-22°C?! Brrrrr!

Did you already used Coconut fiber as growing medium? If yes, did you obtain good results?

It seems that your cat likes chile peppers (or perhaps likes to appear in your photos :lol:)

This is first try with coconut. I spoke with one man who has used it and he said that its too easy to over water plants because it holds so much water. I am going to mix it with pebbles, perlite and torba. I am used to check water needs with weight of pot and normally I leave pot so dry that leaves starts to go downwards. I might use those coconut in about 2 month from this day.

-22C° is not brrr. In that temperature I start to consider to use long sleeve boxers :logik:

Cat likes all the plants I have, she is always sucking leaves. And its very hard to do anything without she is giving instructions or complaining about something.

Mi scusi about bruto photografica e size.

Festivus time, starting from today, days starts to be longer than nights. Outside, too cold but we are getting there, maybe.

Allora,

Annuum

IMG_8260.JPG

??

IMG_8261.JPG

??

IMG_8264.JPG

Abbraccio

IMG_8267.JPG

Jalapeño

IMG_8271.JPG

NuMex Bailey Piquin

IMG_8273.JPG

NuMex Twilight

Baccatum

IMG_8274.JPG

Aji Cristal

IMG_8279.JPG

Champion

IMG_8281.JPG

Criolla Sella

IMG_8286.JPG

Heart Throb

IMG_8287.JPG

Lemon Drop

IMG_8289.JPG

Starfish

Cardenasii var pendulum

IMG_8291.JPG

Ulupica Large

Chacoënce

IMG_8297.JPG

CAP 499

IMG_8299.JPG

CAP 501

Chinense

IMG_8303.JPG

Bhut Jolokia

IMG_8308.JPG

Black Naga

IMG_8312.JPG

Capezzoli di Scimmia

IMG_8315.JPG

Caterpillar (Aribibi gusano/Arivivi gusano) Chinense x Frutescens

IMG_8317.JPG

Chocolate Fatalii

IMG_8322.JPG

Habanero Sudden Death / Habanero Orange?

IMG_8324.JPG

Habanero Yellow

IMG_8329.JPG

Naga Morich

IMG_8330.JPG

Trinidad Perfume

Frutescens

IMG_8335.JPG

CAP 502

IMG_8337.JPG

Duke Pequin

Lanceolatum

IMG_8340.JPG

Lanceolatum

Praetissum

IMG_8341.JPG

CAP 1487

Pubescens

IMG_8345.JPG

Canario

IMG_8349.JPG

Turbo Pube Red

Rhomboideum

IMG_8356.JPG

Rhomboideum

I had problems with google blogspot (autocorrect wanted to write bloodsport, quite close to my feelings with this blogspot right now) and PI 585273 dropped off from pics. Rubberduck is in pictures just for scale purposes. First thing I got my hands on and everyone knows what size those normally are :rolleyes:

Toolshed

Hey, you must have a roomy apartment for all those peppers! :lol:

Do you use some particular stake for criolla sella, champion, and turbo pube red? They seem...strange a little! (but i don't know these varieties)

Beautiful plants, indeed! ;)

Dario

Hey, you must have a roomy apartment for all those peppers! :lol:

Do you use some particular stake for criolla sella, champion, and turbo pube red? They seem...strange a little! (but i don't know these varieties)

Beautiful plants, indeed! ;)

Dario

Ciao,

You mean support stick or rope? Lemon Drop, Criolla Sella, Champion, Canario, Turbo Pube Red, all of these does not necessarily grow a sturdy stem and those needs some kind support system. I am trying to cut those in "shape", making those more bushy, three like. Might take some years to be like that. Turbo Pube Red has 3 branches, each over 1 meter long and Canario has several that long branches :logik: I needed to weave branches together to make it more compact. Otherwise Canario would be 1.5 meter wide or even more. Maybe I should use scissors more often...

Apartment is not big, 50 square meters. And I have in kitchen just 3, Turbo Pube Red, Champion and Chocolate Fatalii on kitchen table. Others are in living room on one corner by windowsill. Picture is in previous page, all plants are so small. Summer at balcony and in autumn, back to living room.

You can also write in italian, I learn more italian in that way.

Saluti,

Harri