Sign in to follow this  
AlexH

Samosas

AlexH

The weather yesterday was pretty miserable so we had a day at home and I wanted to make something for lunch that the kids could help with... so we decided to make some Samosas...

There are many different recipies and variations, but the best I ever had were from a lady that I used to work with in the UK that used to bring them into the office... they are very simple, just peas and potatoes and a few spices, but so tasty! ...I asked her for the recipie and this is it (thanks Jas :whistling: )

Ingredients: for the "pastry"

225g plain flour

75-80ml warm water

1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons oil

mix the flour, salt & oil, then gradually add the water, kneading the mixture together to make a dough (a bit like making fresh pasta!)

...in fact we then used the pasta machine to make very nice thin sheets of pastry for the samosas! (they are just the right width!)

post-638-1269163772.jpg

Ingredients: for the filling

2 large potatoes (peeled and cut into small cubes)

about 100g peas (fresh or frozen - if fresh cook them in some boiling water, if frozen just defrost them)

1 small onion (chopped fine)

1 or 2 garlic cloves (chopped fine)

fresh coriander (chopped)

cumin seeds & black mustard seeds (the mustard seeds are optional really)

half a teaspoon of powdered ginger

squeeze of lemon juice

salt & black pepper

Chilli: a fresh green chilli would be best, but I used red (just a little bit, because of the kids!).

post-638-1269163762.jpg

Boil the potaoes until almost cooked, fry the whole spices in hot oil until they begin to pop, then add the onions and garlic, when browned add the potatoes, peas, chilli and other ingredients, cook together for just a couple of minutes and then put in a bowl to cool down.

post-638-1269163784.jpg

To make the samosas...

take a sheet of the pastry (about 15cm x 25cm), put a spoon of the filling near the right side, fold over a triangle and then fold the triangle back over itself again, to make a little parcel... (it doesn't really matter if these are not perfect... you can see that the kids had a go!)

post-638-1269163793.jpg

When there're ready heat some neutral oil (like sunflower oil) in a frying pan and then fry the samosas on each side until they are golden (or you can deep fry them, but it uses a lot of oil!)

post-638-1269163803.jpg

When they are all ready serve them on their own, or with a chutney, or in this case with some yoghurt with mint and tumeric...

post-638-1269163814.jpg

post-638-1269163832.jpg

Piccantilly

AlexH, you are a big chef :good:

AlexH
AlexH, you are a big chef :good:

Thanks! ...but for this one I must share the credit with the children!! :D