.:Dam:.

City garden in Finlandia

New year, new diary. At this moment not so happy, not at all. Some plants died, new ones does not sprout. I am almost as happy and keen as Cindy here. Fantastico!!! Galapagoense, no. Lanceolatum, no. CAP 1497, no. Heart Throb, no. And list goes on... November was cloudy, I could see sun about 1 hour in that month. December, well, even less... I got my yellow light fixed too late to living room so it was too late for plants. But, some has survived. For example Starfish, 2/3 looks kinda living so far.

DSCF0275.jpg

Starfish has tiny leafs that has been there less than week.

DSCF0278.jpg

Looks miserable but it is alive. Well, aliveish at least...

DSCF0285.jpg

Aji Cristall, it has suffered because I wanted to grow some aphids. Now those tests are done so I hope I can get rid of these aphids and this would grow a bit faster.

DSCF0291.jpg

Super Red Pimenta Hot Pepper, same thing. Both of these has been in small box, 30 cm x 45 cm x 70 cm. Led floodlight, 20W, 4500K 1600 lumen for light. Super Red Pimenta Hot Pepper had some flowers too and small pods but, aphids..

DSCF0292.jpg

Other of my 2 old plants. Other did not see 9:th summer :no: This does not look good but, better that 2 weeks ago...

IMG_6117.jpg

For this my old lamp I bought new bulb, different color but this lamp stopped to work, completely. One of reasons why some plants died but not main reason.

IMG_6154.jpgSo, what can I do? Go to shop and buy new one. Pricey, for sure but color of light is so much better, more light to my apartment, less W (315W vs 400W) so its "cheaper" to use. One minus was that I needed to use hat indoors if I wanted to watch TV for first week or two. But what can I do for my plants?

DSCF0271.jpg

One Flexuosums moved to balcony so season is started outdoors :rofl: A bit chilly but looks just fine for me.

DSCF0273.jpg

Because more space, sow some more seeds.

PI 585262, Canario, CAP 470 (because old one died), Torenog and Dogo Nyoni.

CAP 1141, CAP 1144, CGN 19198, C. Exile and CAP 1035.

Cumari Pollux, Mata Frade and Tovarii.

About Tovarii, not sure if it is pure Tovarii but there is actually only one way to find it out. Grow it and see :logik: If those sprouts at all. 0/8 germinated so far but I think I can see some difference in those seeds. Or it is my imagination that is making some tricks :spiteful: More seeds to sow? I do not know, maybe it is time for taking break from peppers. At least not so many peppers. Or, :hyper:

• Like 3

tattico

Dam, simply all the best for you!

• Like 1

Toolshed

hope the growing season turns to be marvellous for you!

all the best,

keep on the good work.

Dario

• Like 1

Umberm

I wish a great season to you!

....At least not so many peppers. Or, :hyper:

Chili Peppers never are too much! ;)

• Like 1

ZAPPALAND

all the best! ;)

• Like 1

AleSpaggia

Buona Coltivazione!!

• Like 1

Alexrm

Buona coltivazione !! :D

• Like 1

Rapace

Great Dam,

From my point of view you should be appointed as "Pepper Hero" because you cultivate your passion despite the climate... and with success.

I'll follow with interest your diary.

....and also this year don't forget to send your list for statistics 2015 :)http://www.pepperfriends.com/forum/topic/13415-elenco-varieta-2015/

Current worksheet have been updated according to your remarks in 2014 .... but it can be improved more, so if you would like to contribute you're more than welcome).

Break a leg for your pepper season 2015 !

Carlo

• Like 1

Dam, simply all the best for you!

hope the growing season turns to be marvellous for you!

all the best,

keep on the good work.

Dario

I wish a great season to you!

all the best! ;)

Buona Coltivazione!!

Buona coltivazione !! :D

Grazie tante! Great year of pepper to you too!

Great Dam,

From my point of view you should be appointed as "Pepper Hero" because you cultivate your passion despite the climate... and with success.

I'll follow with interest your diary.

....and also this year don't forget to send your list for statistics 2015 :)http://www.pepperfriends.com/forum/topic/13415-elenco-varieta-2015/

Current worksheet have been updated according to your remarks in 2014 .... but it can be improved more, so if you would like to contribute you're more than welcome).

Break a leg for your pepper season 2015 !

Carlo

Despite the climate? What, we have sun all the time at summer :rofl: When we can see it if not raining (again) all the summer. For sure temperature is not ideal but close enough. In good summer. Last year in june temperature was 12C° for some weeks so peppers were quite small if those pollinated then. If pollinated earlier, not so hot peppers.

Chili Peppers never are too much! ;)

Heheheee :turned: Problem is space, not enough. No other place to grow than indoors and at balcony. But, maybe I find a solution for this problem, at least I should. I believe that not all of these will grow at all because some of these are hard to get growing. I needed to think what I want to grow this year and that is too hard to answer. I decided to check seeds what I have and I chose those ones what I do not have so much any more. Usually less than 5 seeds. I moved Torenog to grow in small box and now it has new friends, possibly. Giant, CAP 215, Golden Nugget, CAP 832, CAP 5482, CGN 22871, more Tovarii and Cumari Pollux, Goat's Weed, Numex Sunglow and CAP 1546. I love every capsicum that has name CAP, CGN, c or PI in front of numbers. Those numbers describe these peppers so well :rofl: But seriously, I like to grow these because these normally are made by nature, not seed seller who wants to max the profit with generating something maybe even by accident pollination.

I forgot to take picture about flexuosum fiori but you all know what that looks like... Next time then and I hope it has turned from flower to tiny candy. I almost forgot to post pictures too :logik: It was easy to forget because nothing interesting happened, just repotting.

DSCF0304.jpg

CAP 502 "repotted", more soil to bottom and just checking roots.

DSCF0306.jpg

PI 543203, same thing. Roots looks quite fine.

DSCF0309.jpg

PI 543203, Caterpillar and several other names too. More space for roots.

DSCF0313.jpg

Duke Pequin, same thing again :yawn:

DSCF0316.jpg

Tepin :lazy:

DSCF0322.jpg

And best for last, new possible babies at their new home. These are what I posted above. Mata Frade, C. Exile and CAP 1035 has tiny green leaves already. It is always nice to see baby capsicums to grow more but waiting is painful. Need to be so careful with small ones, as always...

• Like 3

Lonewolf

Winter is a problem here, in Italy; I can't imagine in Finland! :hyper:

You're a Capsicum hero! B)

• Like 3

I have not forgotten this but not so clear for me should I grow still more or not. I might sow some more and will fill this later?

Winter is a problem here, in Italy; I can't imagine in Finland! :hyper:

You're a Capsicum hero! B)

spring-around-the-corner1.jpg

This winter has been quite warm actually. Normally should be much colder but I am not complaining :rofl: Summer is coming, slowly but coming. I've made new growbox prototype because old one was too small. More plants, more fun. I got one cover and 2 boxes.

DSCF0324.jpg

Small hole to smaller box where NFT fabric comes out and also water.

IMG_6377.jpg

Airpump to pump air, waterpump to pump, oh well, water? :shifty: Smaller box on top of bigger, pumps on and light too. My babies has now a new home at rockwool cubes.

DSCF0335.jpg

Awful picture but here is what is happening inside. Possible maybe Tovarii, first one with leafs looks quite good. Some of capsicums has too big roots now so I need to put these ones to soil quite soon. Torenog in left top corner lost first leafs with helmet :fool: But, now it has ultra small leaf. And looks like it is going to survive after all. It has also new friends now, I got some seeds :queen: Frutescens Tabasco Greenleaf, PI 322717, Ekirike, Aji Bravo and Zimbabwe Bird. Also galapagoense, I got that as free gift when I ordered one book. More about that book below.

DSCF0341.jpg

Aphids farming is about over now. No more spraying this Super Red Pimenta Hot Pepper, just fan to move it and making tiny wind so aphids has moved to somewhere else. This could be bonchi some day, maybe.

IMG_6393.jpg

Finally got time and motivation to bag seeds from last year. Not so much seeds but enough for me and year before I got other seeds too. Not in picture Numex Twilight and Tepin because I needed to wash those and put to dry again. I wash those because I do not want to store capsicum powder, just seeds. And with Tepin, taking seeds from pods are so messy because tiny pods.

IMG_6401.jpg

Right now I have quite a lot space for capsicums. So much that my queen of jungle can sit next to these. I also needed to cut down some flexuosums because those were blocking all the light. My oldest plant is now quite dead because that did not get enough light. Now it is in best possible place to get sun light and all I can now do is wait and hope.

DSCF0344.jpg

Best news to last, about that book. Book about capsicums is now published, in Finnish. And there is some beautiful pictures by Lonewolf. I was wondering why this author did not put pictures to his website but now those are in this book. Thank you Lonewolf about these pictures, now Finnish people can see what beauties these are! They printed that book 2000 copies and all of these are now sold.

Hmm, what else. Friend came to Finland and I asked him to give me recipe for filled peppers. He forgot that, of course. From youtube I found some videos, italian what I did not understand so well. There was only olive oil, hot and filled peppers. And she left those on table over night? By the way, for me it was hard to focus, I just keep looking her eyes. :sweatingbullets: But, no acido? Botulismo? Possible to put also cheese in these like mascarpone? About these filled peppers my friend gave a link to website where I can find some recipes. We also discussed about sfilatino and about that being baguette style bread, some pizzerias are making sfilatinopizza combo because they make what customer wants.

• Like 2

Rapace

I have not forgotten this but not so clear for me should I grow still more or not. I might sow some more and will fill this later?

No problem about this....... as you prefer.

If you like you can send your list right now and later you can add more cultivars (if they are not so many, you can also just send me a private message and I will add them).

Otherwise you can wait to have the final grow list and then proceed.

tron

Break a leg.

• Like 1

No problem about this....... as you prefer.

If you like you can send your list right now and later you can add more cultivars (if they are not so many, you can also just send me a private message and I will add them).

Otherwise you can wait to have the final grow list and then proceed.

Signor, si signor.

I found some errors in list, not big errors. About sending list, I do not like to send list if all plants does not grow. And about Tovarii, not sure if it is Tovarii or Tovarii x something. This year, not so many new plants. All those are in this topic. But, I will make that list, for sure.

• Like 1

Rapace

I have a question about how you use rockwool cubes.

I usually make seeds germinate there and sometimes even let the cotyledons grow.

After that I put them into the soil.

I see that you keep the plants there longer.

How do you act after ? Are you putting the rockwool cube into the soil together with the plant ? or do you free the roots before it ?

Signor, si signor.

:lol2: ....

Well..... we are not in the army..... I apologize if I was "rude" (it wasn't my intention). Take it easy :).

Lonewolf

Best news to last, about that book. Book about capsicums is now published, in Finnish. And there is some beautiful pictures by Lonewolf. I was wondering why this author did not put pictures to his website but now those are in this book. Thank you Lonewolf about these pictures, now Finnish people can see what beauties these are! They printed that book 2000 copies and all of these are now sold.

Nice!

I was happy to allow author to use some of my photos.

Many other can be seen, of course, in our database :)

I have a question about how you use rockwool cubes.

I usually make seeds germinate there and sometimes even let the cotyledons grow.

After that I put them into the soil.

I see that you keep the plants there longer.

How do you act after ? Are you putting the rockwool cube into the soil together with the plant ? or do you free the roots before it ?

:lol2: ....

Well..... we are not in the army..... I apologize if I was "rude" (it wasn't my intention). Take it easy :).

Signor, no signor! Imbossibile to get offended by this! I will send that list and make it with joy! I know it is important and good that you have that kind a list. I will do it today and if I want more to grow, I send that list again.

About cubes, those plants are best friends forever until death apart. Idea here is that 2-3 plants are fine in pot together and I think I get better seeds from 2-3 plant instead just one lonely. Flexuosums are all in different pot, only exclusion.

Nice!

I was happy to allow author to use some of my photos.

Many other can be seen, of course, in our database :)

Too bad pictures are so small in book. My opinion, one page, one picture about these wild ones.

grispa72

You are like a pioneer for me. I respect your passion and your work!!! :hi:

Paolo

• Like 1

Maverick

Is your cat helping you to grow plants!!?.

I like cats but one of mine was terrible with plnt's sheets!!.

Good luck for your new season!.

Is your cat helping you to grow plants!!?.

I like cats but one of mine was terrible with plnt's sheets!!.

Good luck for your new season!.

Due gatta. Helping? That is not first or second word that comes to my mind :logik:

One gatta is auto pollinator, goes sniffing to all plants. Sometimes takes a nap in pots. Other used pots as personal toilet. Quite strong fertilizers :no: Second cat is former stray cat and not used to be with humans. And is afraid to my other cat. So no, not helping.

Maverick

(...). Other used pots as personal toilet. Quite strong fertilizers :no: (...)

:D :D

Not right place to ask but my level of understanding italian language is low and we all know how google translator works; it does not work. But, I need some assistance. Peperoncini con tonno, hot version, piccanti. I asked my local shop to get some and they sold me from here this

PeperonciFarci.jpg

These are very very good but not hot at all. Does any of you have any suggestions what manufacturer, brand, version I should order next? Requirements; hot and made in Italy. Maybe I prefer small companies than larger.

Hellas

Not right place to ask but my level of understanding italian language is low and we all know how google translator works; it does not work. But, I need some assistance. Peperoncini con tonno, hot version, piccanti. I asked my local shop to get some and they sold me from here this

These are very very good but not hot at all. Does any of you have any suggestions what manufacturer, brand, version I should order next? Requirements; hot and made in Italy. Maybe I prefer small companies than larger.

Hello Dam, the characteristic of those stuffed peppers is their low hotness.
They are usually prepared with chiles type Satan's kiss or peperoncino Tondo calabrese.
I could not tell if there are more prepared spicy, Laelia or Stefania maybe could learn more.
Danio

Hello Dam, the characteristic of those stuffed peppers is their low hotness.
They are usually prepared with chiles type Satan's kiss or peperoncino Tondo calabrese.
I could not tell if there are more prepared spicy, Laelia or Stefania maybe could learn more.
Danio

Ciao,

These ones are sweet but so delicious! Are these normally common in shops or does people make their own so much/often that not wise to sell in shops? About right hotness level peperoncino what I have is Tepin. Too small... ø 5 mm.