Luca dalla Tailandia

Seeds of strange Fruit from China

Luca dalla Tailandia

I brought these seeds from Burma, - well they are from China imported to Burma where I bought them.

I have no clue what it might be...

It looks a bit like Cucurbita pepo ssp. ovifera var. ovifera, but when looking at the seeds it probably is not even a Cucurbitaceae!

I did look and google to identify it, but I do not know what I am looking for...as I only have the picture and teh seeds.

Any clue?

post-209-1224901098.jpg

Thanks for any hints!

Lonewolf

No idea ;)

If someone would be able to read the ideograms on the right image, may this could help ... :blush:

Luca dalla Tailandia
No idea ;)

If someone would be able to read the ideograms on the right image, may this could help ... ;)

Quite possible that it is something like TAIKUNSEEDS, actually the brand name (above) ;)

At the backside there is more "Chinese"...but well...

My wife now says that it exists in Thailand and that we find it at some local markets (at this time of the year). It is supposed to be a sweet fruit that grows on "medium high" bushes, called 'Man Kheao' :blush:

I only believe that it is the same thing as soon as I have it in my hands...

It is a general problem here for me to "identify" plants and stuff, even though I am living here for many years and are marrried to a Thai woman. No discrimination ere, but in many ways this is still third world and average people do not care about biology or latin names, Eatable or not, and how it tastes only matters. But then again if you ask the latin name of rucola to your family in EU, chances are good that they do not know it either! But finding qualified people here, who deal with latin species names and such is difficult!

It's nice and interesting for me to have local names in Thai language and to learn them, but unfortunately that is the end of the story in many cases. It took me weeks to find what mahatsachan (miracle fruit) was called. I knew it since 5 years from here as a special berry with that local name, without knowing that it has got popular around the world. There are also dozens of flowers, herbs, leaves and other kind of edible (as in eatable) plants here, just growing near my home. But as soon as I do research or even google, it's mostly a dead end without any hint. Local Thai names do not give any results (especially when transcribed in latin alphabet), and there is no "picture recognition software" for plants yet. ;)

First attempt of germination did not end well, to wet and the highly 'proteined' seeds did get smelly and rotten. But the second (well drained mold) is successful!

mankeo.jpg

Lonewolf

Perhaps it exists even in Tailandia some publication about classification of local plants.

For the area where I live I've two books, for herbaceous plants and trees, which guide the reader thru a lot of question (behaviour, flower and leaves properties etc) till identify the plant and get more info about it.

However such a book don't cover commercial cultivars or imported plants; for example fot peppers it report only C.annuum.

markinus

it seems to be a fabaceae like seed

you have really to wait flowers and fruit to identify the species

:blush: