Luca dalla Tailandia

Prik Dae Khao ( Thailand C. frutescens)

Luca dalla Tailandia

Here is one of the more remarkable (and probably not well known) and real C. Frutescens Peppers from Nothern Thailand. The local name is Prik Dae Khao. Prik stands for Chili Pepper, like Aji (as a local name for mostly C. Baccatum from Peru) Khao means white, while "Dae" is nearly impossible to translate as it is a very local expression that no-one seems to be able to translate to me (perhaps something like "thingie").

The plant shown here grows quite wildly under a Lemon tree, - that is why I cant show the whole plant. It's about 1.40m in hight.

daekhao05.jpg

daekhao00.jpg

This variety is probably one of the hottest found in Thailand and I guess it beats the 100.000 Scu (which are commonly said for Thai peppers). The seeds from my plants come from another nother province called Lampang, which is about 160 km away from my actual location. There are "new" commercial seeds available since a while, which are called Prik Ghaliang. On the photo of the package they look 'similar' (and plants are C. Frutescens as well) - but the plants I've grown for now are too small to tell if they are the same. So to speak, they have no pods yet!

daekhao01.jpg

daekhao03.jpg

daekhao_bl00.jpg

The pod shape varies sightly from "malaguetta-like" to more conic (thinner or more conic).

I am not sure if this variety is stable and not a hybrid (hybridized), but it seems stable so far. And by the way it ripens red - but that can really take a long time, even under permanent 30° C plus...

daekhao04.jpg

PS: Do not even try to google for this variety, you'll not find anything (...well you can always try) :blush:

mammoccio

Tnx Luca for share these info & pics(great!)!

Lonewolf

Thanks Luca, a nice variety !

Luigi55

Hi Luca, the fruit resembles a lot to this

Lagrima-1.jpg

The fruit from immature it is green clear

then it becomes yellow, to become red when mature

Lagrima2-1.jpg

My plant doesn't originate from Thailand, but from Brazil

Tomorrow I also insert me a photo of the flower

Luca dalla Tailandia

Ciao Luigi!

Hi Luca, the fruit resembles a lot to this

My plant doesn't originate from Thailand, but from Brazil

Tomorrow I also insert me a photo of the flower

Yes indeed, - and actually this-one looks more like the one which comes as a commercial seed (the one I was talking about too).

It is actually more greenish and more bumpy. I'll make a picture of the seed pack I have, and you'll see. And both ripen through orange (like yours), before getting red. What species does your's belong to, also C. Frutescens, and how is it called? May be a malagueta or malaguetona variety or something of that strain?

There is annother very interesting Pepper in Thailand, that looks a little like a cross between Dedo-de-moça and a Murupi (actually the "big brother" of the Dae Khao, as shown here) - but still, this fella is no Bacatuum or Chinense, but a very strange C. Frutescens as well. I'll post some pictures here too. As you probably know that historians are not sure, wether the Portuguese or the Spanish brought the peppers to Thailand in the 16th century. But here we have quite a clue about Brazil, which makes it more plausible that the Portuguese where the ones. :blush:

Luigi55
Ciao Luigi!

Yes indeed, - and actually this-one looks more like the one which comes as a commercial seed (the one I was talking about too).

It is actually more greenish and more bumpy. I'll make a picture of the seed pack I have, and you'll see. And both ripen through orange (like yours), before getting red. What species does your's belong to, also C. Frutescens, and how is it called? May be a malagueta or malaguetona variety or something of that strain?

There is annother very interesting Pepper in Thailand, that looks a little like a cross between Dedo-de-moça and a Murupi (actually the "big brother" of the Dae Khao, as shown here) - but still, this fella is no Bacatuum or Chinense, but a very strange C. Frutescens as well. I'll post some pictures here too. As you probably know that historians are not sure, wether the Portuguese or the Spanish brought the peppers to Thailand in the 16th century. But here we have quite a clue about Brazil, which makes it more plausible that the Portuguese where the ones. :chris:

Hi Luca, the name of the pepper sent from Brazil is "Lagrima" :blush:

the Brazilian friends are very nice, :angry:

gives a name of imagination to everybody the unknown peppers :blush:

cmpman1974

A most stunning variety Luca. I'm looking forward to growing it next season. ;)

Chris

Luca dalla Tailandia
A most stunning variety Luca. I'm looking forward to growing it next season. ;)

Chris

Hi Chris, I was thinking of you (as well) when showing this - well actually because of the Frutescens looking somewhat like Chinense. I also found some info that says that (perhaps some wild form of) Frutescens are probably the genetic ancestors of the chinense. ;)

PS: the Frutescens from Thailand are not hard to get, but seem a little hard to grow in mild climate. I've distributed many seeds but never heard again of them... ;)

Luca dalla Tailandia

Hi Luigi,

Hi Luca, the name of the pepper sent from Brazil is "Lagrima" ;)

the Brazilian friends are very nice, ;)

gives a name of imagination to everybody the unknown peppers ;)

Firstly I did not understand what you meant - got it now!

Yes, they are kind and sometimes they like to take things easy. Some even name the peppers after themselves :D

But then again there are some real cracks. I lately was happy, when "Carlos" was helping me out with the difference between malagueta and malaguetão! So, we should not pull their legs too much... ;)

PS: don't you know if it's a Frutescens, or do you have the picture of the fower (which should show it).

Luigi55

Hi Luca, here is the photo of two flowers

Lagrima_FW2.jpg

Lagrima_FW3.jpg

Luca dalla Tailandia

So most certainly a C. Frutescens as well - as I guessed. Btw: I did send several seed packages from one of those plants to Brasil during last November-December. But it would be funny if these were the descendants of those. Time is a bit short for such irony of destiny...it's more likely to what I said earlier: the origin of (at least some) Thai Peppers should be situated in Brasil- and the Portuguese of course. As we know, many of the Annuums found in Thailand are descendants of the Cayenne type, which has many varieties (as a sort of annuum sub-variety). And where is Cayenne (Guyana) located? Near Brazil of course.... :P

ronyoto

"risveglio" questo post per chiedere se qualcuno ha semi di queste due varietà di frutescens?