aropupu

aropupu 2012

aropupu

110705_solanum_dulcamara_IMG_5987_822px.JPG

Solanum Dulcamara

One of the two solanaceae species that one can find naturalized in Finland.

aropupu

110817_CGN_19198_IMG_9479_822px.jpg

CGN 19198 (C. sp / C. eximium?)

110924_CGN_19198_IMG_0991_822px.jpg

CGN 19198 (C. sp / C. eximium?)

This variety from CGN is from an unstable accession that proved to have some rather interesting traits, like the so-called "CGN 19198#2" that has several flowers per flower node. My plant has completely white flowers.

aropupu

110620_CAP_498_IMG_5178_v2.jpg

CAP 498 (C. praetermissum)

A praetermissum curling it's petals backwards.

aropupu

110827_c_galapagoense_IMG_9894_822px.jpg

C. galapagoense

It seems rather hard to get any fruits from this species. I have several plants that are almost two years old and haven't had a single fruit yet.

aropupu

110721_cap_470_front_IMG_6209_822px.JPG

CAP 470 (C. eximium)

110827_CAP_470_IMG_0130_822px.jpg

CAP 470 (C. eximium)

A C.sp. from IPK that turned out to be a nice C. eximium.

• Like 1

aropupu

110827_CAP_214_IMG_9743_822px.jpg

CAP 214 (Not C. baccatum var. baccatum but C. praetermissum)

Marked as a wild baccatum in the IPK database, but this one turned out to be a white-flowered form of C. praetermissum.

aropupu

110817_CAP_1455_IMG_9472_822px.jpg

CAP 1455 (C. frutescens)

A frutescens with ridiculously small fruits. That's my middle finger in the picture, look at your own and you'll understand the size of the fruit.

Lonewolf

Again ... WOW!

About C.galapagoense, I got a lot of pods during the second year and with the plant in full sun.

Stefania

Very nice plants and photoes!

Miciomiao

What a nice pictures! (And sure, what a nice plants!!)

Congrats mate!

aropupu

Just one more post, my Tzimbalo (Solanum caripense) suffering from one of the worst pests there is for any solanaceae:

111027_tzimbalo_ja_silmu_tai_verso_IMG_2098.jpg

Look closely to the middle of the picture and you'll find this hairy pest there. It's probably hard to make out anything of the plant itself from the picture so here's a better one.

110804_tzimbalo_IMG_8568.jpg

Tzimbalo (Solanum caripense)

cyberbass

WOOOOOW!! :huh: :huh: :huh:

the love and passion you give to your plants are absolutely stunning!!!

...maybe the "pest" is a little bit jealouse :D

cxx

Tzimbalo's fruits,look like miniatures of watermelon...amazing !!!

• Like 1

Piccantilly

many many congratulations

a great Capsicum collection and wonderfull pictures

about C.galapagoense, with your camera you can document branched thichomes

from a i s p e s collection

post-415-0-26956300-1338488338.jpg

Mario

beautiful photos and chillies

nipotastro

great! what else?? :D

have you tried the hot lemon cross? what is its flavour?

tzimbalo is edible? have you tried? how is?

Toolshed

hey, I apologize for this clever question but...are you growing chiles outdoor in finland?

I thought you have a little bit too low temperatures up there in finland, even if you live in the south!

beautiful plants, indeed!!!

:good:

Lonewolf

Great work, Aropupu.

In your photos and descriptions we can feel a great passion!

About C.chacoense, it would be very interesting to see them in their natural habitat (and chiltepin too!) ... maybe, one day ;)

About C.praetermissum-like; the pods are similar to those of a C.annuum (Numex twilight for example), green to red; they are not deciduous when ripe.

We gave seeds to a gropu of botanist working in a University; they will grow this plant and study it.

Candle-light mutant is awesome!

Very nice photos! Which camera do you use?

PS.

By the way, did you gave a glance at our Brasil 3 report?

https://www.pepperfriends.com/forum/topic/7737-wild-capsicum-brasile-3/

(at the moment photos are visible only for a i s p e s members, but will be available to everybody within few months)

aropupu

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

great! what else??

have you tried the hot lemon cross? what is its flavour?

tzimbalo is edible? have you tried? how is?

I'm still waiting for the cross to ripen. Don't want to (yet) pick them unripe as i want to make sure that i get seeds for the second generation. After i get at least some seeds, i can also start trying how it tastes in the green stage.

Tzimbalo is edible, wikipedia says the fruits resemble pepino. I haven't had the change to taste them myself though. The plant started fruiting very late in the fall and just after taking the photo of the fruits, i had to carry the plant inside to continue ripening the fruits, as it was getting too cold outside. The "pest" and it's friends (we have five cats of our own and from time to time we works as a temporary home for homeless kittens as we take part in an animal rescue organisation) immediately ripped all the unripe fruits off the plant and used thm as cat toys. I tasted one unripe and it didn't really taste much anything, something like "tasteless greenhouse cucumber crossed with a tasteless kiwifruit" would be close.

I still have the plant and it's pretty huge in size now, hopefully i'll get to taste some ripe ones this summer.

aropupu

hey, I apologize for this clever question but...are you growing chiles outdoor in finland?

I thought you have a little bit too low temperatures up there in finland, even if you live in the south!

beautiful plants, indeed!!!

Yeah, it's pretty cold up here. Most people use a heated greenhouse for growing chillies, i don't as i simply don't have one. I start germinating seeds around christmas and grow the plants inside up until june, and to do that i need high-powered electric lights as the amount of natural light is so low during winter. I have a seperate room for the plants that has a 600W High-pressure sodium vapor lamp hanging from the ceiling, plus a collection of fluorescent tubes and shelves on the walls around the room. The plants spend their first 3-6 months there (depending on the species, six months for rocotos, 2-3 for domesticated annuums) and they're pretty much full-grown when it's time to transplant them outside.

aropupu

Great work, Aropupu.

In your photos and descriptions we can feel a great passion!

About C.chacoense, it would be very interesting to see them in their natural habitat (and chiltepin too!) ... maybe, one day

About C.praetermissum-like; the pods are similar to those of a C.annuum (Numex twilight for example), green to red; they are not deciduous when ripe.

We gave seeds to a gropu of botanist working in a University; they will grow this plant and study it.

Candle-light mutant is awesome!

Very nice photos! Which camera do you use?

PS.

By the way, did you gave a glance at our Brasil 3 report?

http://www.pepperfri...icum-brasile-3/

(at the moment photos are visible only for a i s p e s members, but will be available to everybody within few months)

Thank you. I've seen quite a bit of passion in your posts too :)

Yes, it would be great to seem them in their natural habitat. Would take quite a bit of travelling though, as the distribution area of the species is several times larger than, say, Italy or Finland. Even larger area for tepins, as far as i understand.

I've shown pictures of the praetermissum-like to a few fellow finns who seem to know their wild chillies and they've concluded that everything in the plant falls under the natural variation of the species praetermissum, except for the (claimed) non-dediousness of the fruits. Can't say anything about that though as i haven't had any fruits yet but we'll see. Could the answer maybe be as simple as a hybrid between C. praetermissum and a small-fruited variety of a domesticated C. baccatum?

As for the photos, i use a "toy-store DSLR" (EOS 450D) with it's kit lens and a six euro extender piece i ordered from a chinese web shop, plus a used 50mm/f1,8 lens.

I read a bit of your Brasil 3 report but it seemed too interesting for me to read it without pictures, as i'm a pretty visual person. I'll wait until i can read it with pictures :)

aropupu

Yeah, maybe i could? i'll try this when we get some sunshine, doing macro shoots on this level requires ridiculous amounts of light and we've had only rain and cloudy weather for a week or so.

If i get any decent pictures, i guess i should also do the same with C. pubescens, C. praetermissum etc other hairy species and see if there's any real difference between these! This actually sounds like a very interesting experiment!

aropupu

many many congratulations

a great Capsicum collection and wonderfull pictures

from a i s p e s collection

post-415-0-26956300-1338488338.jpg

Today i went ahead and tried this:

120614_trichomes_galapagoense_IMG_5563_v1_822px.jpg

Trichomes of C. galapagoense

120614_trichomes_galapagoense_IMG_5629_v1_822px.jpg

120614_trichomes_galapagoense_IMG_5636_v1_822px.jpg

aropupu

120614_trichomes_pubescens_rocoto_peru_cusco_IMG_5582_v1_822px.jpg

Trichomes of C. pubescens (Rocoto Peru Cusco)

120614_trichomes_pubescens_rocoto_peru_cusco_IMG_5585_v1_822px.jpg

120614_trichomes_pubescens_rocoto_peru_cusco_IMG_5593_v1_822px.jpg

120614_trichomes_pubescens_PI 593622_IMG_5652_v1_822px.jpg

Trichomes of C. pubescens (PI 593622)

(note: the long hair in the middle of the picture is transfer, probably either from me or the cats)

aropupu

120614_trichomes_rhomboideum_IMG_5623_v1_822px.jpg

Trichomes of C. rhomboideum (PI 645680)

120614_trichomes_rhomboideum_IMG_5625_v1_822px.jpg

Trichomes of C. rhomboideum (PI 645680)