Sign in to follow this  
Lonewolf

We met the "pope" of peppers

Lonewolf

Here the translation of the post #9; I hope it's understandable :(

The magic that lead Dave DeWitt to spend some days of holiday in Italy is a piece of work of Harald Zoschke;

Marco knows details more deeply than me and, I believe, he contributed in some way in convincing him.

Among the other, Parma was an unavoidable stop, even fot the nearness to the Stuard farm (the most important peppers' center in Italy and over) and for the "Cibus - International fair of food" planned on May, 5th to 8th.

To stay near the town, which better choice than Ca' d'Alfieri ?

Harald and his wife Renate are fond of this corner of paradise, a farm holiday restored with taste and respect for tradition, dipped in the green and quiet of the emilian Appennine.

Ca' d'Alfieri is by now the meeting point par excellence for the peppermaniacs.

Harald and Mario organized an informal meeting with Dave in front of the deliciousness prepared by Luisa and Maurizio, perfect landlords.

In the photo, "the three peppers' guru"

[see photo 1 in post #9]

I don't know how was born the idea of inviting also some keens on peppers, but obviously being among the lucky ones was a very pleasant surprise and a chance one can't lose B).

Invited, beside the non-professional X, Riccardo (admin of peperonciniamoci) and Claudio (me), also Enzo Monaco (president of the Italian Accademy of Pepper) and Massimo Biagi (great peppers' expert from the Pisa University)

Present also a journalist who is working on an article about Stuard and peppers in general (we'll publish further info as soon as possible).

Invitation was extended even to wives/fiancée/partners, but with the advice to not "broaden" too much the participation (sorry :))

The appointment was for lunch, but for safety's sake I started early (the journey from Verona requires nearly three hours) and, when arrived in Bardi, I can't resist the temptation to go at once at Ca' d'Alfieri, almost an hour early.

So, deeply moved :blush:, I met Dave and Harald and their wives Mary Jane and Renate.

They all make feel me at my ease, in spite of the linguistic barrier.

For about half an hour, calmly sitting under the arcade behind a good beer, I had the opportunity to talk about various aspects of the fantastic world of peppers with two mythical figures (yes, you may envy ... eh eh :D)

This moment was particularly important for me; my English is quite bad and to succeed in expressing what I wish to say and understand what they tell me I need calm and time to "translate" mentally.

In front of many persons and in the excitement of normal conversations, it's difficult for me to hold the rhythm and partecipate as I wish.

The cordiality of Dave surprised me; a really nice person, so easygoing despite an unbelievable curriculum that gave hime the well-deserved title of "pope of peppers".

Harald, as usual, is an exquisite person; by now ours is a friendship (may I define it so?) consolidated of which I'm proud.

Later arrived in dribs and drabs all the other guests; at first Riccardo and his fiancée Michela, then Mario and his partner Manuela, finally X together with our "interpreter" Valentina.

Valentina was so kind to place her valuable knowledge of languages at our disposal, overall in anticipation of Massimo Biagi's participation because Massimo although a great peppers' expert doesn't speak English.

Unfortunately Enzo Monaco and Massimo Biagi at last couldn't partecipate (sob :pinch:), , but the presence of Valentina was however precious ... I saw she talking for a long time in english with Mary Jane, in Deutch with Renate, even in Spanish with Manuela ... for sure this contribute to make everyone feel at their ease.

(@Valentina: but now we want a full report about all the relevant news and "confidences" you listened to ;))

Astonishing also the ease by which of Marco speaks English too ... Good!

I think next time I'll have to study a bit ...

Here's X visibly satisfied near Dave and Mary Jane ...

[see photo 2 in post #9]

Always interesting is when we exchange gifts.

My usual multicoloured hot powders and some good wine from my zone (Soave), superhot powders from Riccardo into gracious jars, the mythical jars of dried tomatoes in olive oil and spices from Marco, a Liguria's Guide (bilingual), typical products and much more ...

The most lucky in this occasion was surely Valentina; Harald was so happy to find finally someone who can appreciate his Handbuck on peppers, so complete and accurate, but unfortunately written in Deutch; Valentina well-deserve this wonderful gift, but now obviously we are waiting anxiously for a full translation in Italian language :lol:.

Finally ... grub up! :P

Luisa is a skilled cook and once again was at the height of her reputation.

The appetizers of Ca' d'Alfieri are already a myth; salted meat of black pig, homemade bread with chili peppers and sauces of various degrees of heat and colours (also pink).

The new, deadly Sauce Jolokia (85% superhot peppers) didn't let us mourn the absence of fresh pods.

And then ...tortellos with buttermilk curd, pig roast with strawberry sauce (hot and sweet), delicious chips, chocolate cake with cream to lick our fingers, coffee, "grappa" ...

Luisa and Maurizio spoil us!

The athmosphere along all the lunch was so hearty.

We spoke about almost everything ... also we got some great ideas on how diffusing the "hot culture" in Italy.

I liked expecially Harald's thesis when, speaking about the chili eaters contest in Diamante, he uphold the idea that we should underline the appeals of peppers utilizationrather than the images of "suffering".

Unfortunately were absents the most important representatives of the "official" Italian world of peppers; the presence of Enzo Monaco would be without doubt important (but there will be other chances)

Who already participate to hot dinners knows well that chili peppers induce a state of euphoria (such as wine, but without its collateral effects).

As a demonstration of how the environment was serene, relaxed and friendly should be enough a couple of photoes; in the first Mario and Manuela show how works the oxen's yoke which was hung to the wall (!), in the second Harald

(who, as a good reporter, is always in hunt of interesting images) don't worry to crawl in the floor to take a good photo of the expression of Heidi, the house dog.

[see photo 3 and 4 in post #9]

A special citation deserves the wives/partners of the peppers' guru.

It seems a consolidated rule that near every great expert there is a "special" woman

(No, Stefania, I'm not a pepper guru, therefore I'm not referring to you :lol:).

[see photo 5 in post #9]

Renate, Harald's wife, is as usual likeable and hyperactive ... always careful of the requirements of everybody and always smiling.

Her Italian is by now nearly perfect!

Manuela is the best complement to our great Mario; her Italian needs no mention, if it weren't for her tipically "Spanish" look, you couldn't understand she's foreign.

Amazing finally Mary Jane, Dave's wife; a refined and well-educated lady, but however so disposable and cordial ...

The afternoon flown in a while.

Then ... ritual photoes, greetings ... an unforgettable day, in touch with the European and world-wide elite of our crazy passion ...

A confirmation that peppers "join" breaking every difference of language, culture, origin, age ! :hug:

... and now ? :(

When will we go to visit the Chile Peppers' Institute of Paul Bosland ? :(

Patahontas

Thanks for sharing your information on this event and thanks for the translation Nagalone.

Patrik

ottone

x, scommetto che il poster dell'ultima foto troneggia già sulla parete della sala di casa tua, vero?