Sign in to follow this  
whitekoohii

buena mulata

whitekoohii

i became aware of the buena mulata variety through jeff nekola's heirloom archive and got seeds through a trade from denmark (malusrustika). john f was kind enough to provide some information about the variety from the book 100 Vegetables and Where They came From by ww weaver:

american folk artist pippin found the pepper for my grandfather in the 1930's. although no one knows exactly where it comes from, oral history places it in nicaragua...its best uses are in colorful salsas and in one of the secret flavoring ingredients of nicaraguan cookery: vinagre de buena mulata, made with white wine vinegar, buena mulata peppers, garlics and cilantro. a delightful addition to soups, sauces and dressings. it is also good in marinades for goat....[ he goes on to talk about a similar pepper being illustrated in a 1542 book but that pepper ripened green to red but another ripened black to red] so we may assume that such color shifting must have existed since pre-columbian times. buena mulata is probably a selected strain of this type of mutation, a real pepper mulatto in its robust blend of colors and a true rainbow of flavors as well.

buenamulata011.jpg

Bonnet

Hi whitekoohii, i have buena mulata after saw your photo i hope to see the flower very soooon!! It's fantastic