Sign in to follow this  
cmpman1974

White Habanero (C. Chinense)

cmpman1974

This was a very disappointing variety in regards to productivity. Compared to other white habaneros such as White Bullet, Peruvian White Habanero, etc., it paled in comparison. Perhaps the plant I grew was weak though. I don't think I will grow it again to find out.

Chris

P1030271.jpg

Lonewolf

This variety looks very similar to the one I grew in the last three years.

My plants were instead very productive, hundreds of pods (almost all hidden under the leaves).

This variety is perfect for making powder; pods dehidrate very well and it's possibile to produce very thin powder with nice flavour and unusual white color.

martapeg

White Habanero is one of my favourite species even if,last year, I had no luck growing it! <_<

I hope this year things will go better..in the meanwhile I have the opportunity to taste,with pleasure, the powder that "someone" gave me recently ;)

Bonnet

Very nice color! I love it! <_<

cmpman1974

Yes. white habs are usually incredibly productive. However, I must mention the one great attribute of this strain is it's the whitest version I've ever seen!

Chris

alb

Yes, I too was thinking that your white habs are truly very white.

The others I have seen usually look a little bit ivory.

I think that this interesting quality can balance the disappoint for their low productivity.

Patahontas

I have grown Peruvian White Habanero, as you have, which in my care was prolific and very white. In Sweden Peruvian White Habanero is sold under the name White Habanero. Do you think it could be the same? Your pods seems to have a more irregular shape than the Peruvian White Habanero.

Sensommar2007313-large.jpg

P71700082-large.jpg

martapeg

In my,unpretentious, opinion I think they're two different varieties. Also the name shows it, without doubt..

Anyway someone more "prepared"than me will correctly answer to you! <_<

cmpman1974

I can't say with certainty, but I am guessing they are two different strains. I am familiar with Peruvian White Habaneros. I hear they are very prolific. White Bullet Habs, most likely a made up trademark name, are similar to them.

I have heard a white habanero exists that is larger (not giant white habanero). I see it on Ebay every once in a while. It would be interesting to grow this strain. Anyone else grow any different white C. Chinenses?

Chris

cmpman1974

All this discussion prompted to me to plant some F1 seeds of this variety and see how they do. Maybe my theory of just setting out a weak plant in 2006 will be correct. I'll keep everyone updated later in the season if the seeds so well. I only had a few left.

Chris

Patahontas

Great, it will intressting to se your result. Please let us know how it goes.

/Patrik

Noshownate

Damn chris those pods are very white nice peppers!