Patahontas

Baccatum with pods that stays white

Patahontas

A swedish seed company sells seeds from an intressting baccatum called Blondie, it has pods that should stay white all the time.

Baccaturm Blondie

Has anyone ever grown any baccatum that stays white all the time? I have never seen this feature before with the baccatums.

Ciao

Patrik

Bonnet

hi Patrik! :)

Maybe i wrong but the pod is very similar to a variety called "aribibi gusano" but you can find it with others names like "arivivi gusano " or "Arrivivi Gusano". Anyway i don't know well if "gusano" is a chinense or others.

Here you can find a particular photo (got from reimer seeds)

Arrivivi_Gusano_Hot_Peppers_Seeds.jpg

(reimer say Capsicum annuum)

Patahontas

Maybe I just have to try it :). The seed company are usally very good with peppers, so I dont belive they made a misstake. But never say never...

JohnF

I have grown a couple that I thought ripened very pale-almost white bit after a long period they changed to orange/red

Patahontas

Thanks John for the info and the picture.

Yesterday I was on meeting with the Swedish Pepper Society. On this meeting the owner of the seed company attended. I asked him about the variety (Blondie). He had received it from a customer who had grown it for a long time. The customer had no idea where it comes from. It is supposed to be quiet tall and has the typical baccatum taste. The owner also ensured me that it was a baccatum.

I bought a packet of seeds from him. I planted the seeds directly when got home. I will let you know how it goes.

/Patrik

JohnF

Hi Patrik

Please do update us. I am curious to hear your results.

Patahontas

Blondie turned out yellow!

DSCN3940.jpg

DSCN4392.jpg

Today I was in contact with the seller of the seeds. He told me that his plants all turned out white. He will send me new seeds. He looked at my pictures and confirmed that it was not blondie.

Sorry guys, It seems I will have to try Blondie next year aswell.

Regards

Patrik

Lonewolf

It happens ... you'll be more lucky next year :(

However it's a nice plant.

Patahontas

A picture of a true Blondie, got the picture from a norwegian pepperfriend. The pods turned out white.

Blondie3.jpg

Regards

Patrik

Patahontas

I tried this one last year but my plant turned out to be a hybrid. This year it looks more promising. Now they are purple and "white". According to friends in Sweden, Denmark and Norway the matured color is white. But I am not saying anything yet (remember White rocoto). There are quite many baccatums that starts white and then change color later when matured.

P1050266.JPG

P1050260.JPG

In Scandinavia Blondie are sold by Öragården www.ortagarden.com and Gartneri Toftegaard(Denmark-plants only)www.gartneri-toftegaard.dk

Blondie

http://www.ortagarden.com/katalog/KatalogB...-true.blond.jpg

http://www.gartneri-toftegaard.dk/files/im...londieb2009.jpg

nipotastro

they're so ...strange !

let us know something about taste and flavour... when they ripe...

anyway they look wonderful with blue stripes...

Patahontas
they're so ...strange !

let us know something about taste and flavour... when they ripe...

anyway they look wonderful with blue stripes...

I will let you know, at the moment they almost look dangerous to eat with that purple color :lol:

Lonewolf

Very nice and strange pods!

I'm growing a nice variety with seems to have an opposite behaviour.

It's called Murupi amarela, where "amarela" should be the Portuguese word for "yellow".

Instead the only pods that seems ripen has changed colour from pale yellow to white ivory ... waiting to see if there will be other changes.

I'm not sure which species this plant belongs to; maybe C.frutescens, but I've the same doubt as for Aribibi Gusano (chinense or frutescens?).

Pods shape also resemble Aribibi ...

Patahontas
Very nice and strange pods!

I'm growing a nice variety with seems to have an opposite behaviour.

It's called Murupi amarela, where "amarela" should be the Portuguese word for "yellow".

Instead the only pods that seems ripen has changed colour from pale yellow to white ivory ... waiting to see if there will be other changes.

I'm not sure which species this plant belongs to; maybe C.frutescens, but I've the same doubt as for Aribibi Gusano (chinense or frutescens?).

Pods shape also resemble Aribibi ...

That sounds very interesting, and yes the Aribibi Gusano must have some frutescens in it, just look at the flowers the really look as frutescens.

//Patrik