Sign in to follow this  
PepperLover

Solanum capsicastrum

PepperLover

hi last year i bought this plant from amish they told me it was chili plant i told them no way that this can be pepper i told them i grow chilis alot and never seen somehitng like that so i bough it to see what it will turn like i was sure at the first mint i sow it that is doesnt even belong to any kind of chili.

i found in an other forum post saing that there is some mis concept about this one and its not pepper plant i took some pic for mine

here is the link telling you what it looks like and all you need to know about it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_cherry

i tasted mind it was sweet like orange what makes me more confused is the seeds like normal chili seeds

post-159-1263336137.jpg

post-159-1263336186.jpg

post-159-1263336208.jpg

Lonewolf

Don't taste it!

It's poisonous!

I'm growing two of this, just to show who visit me what is NOT a pepper.

All peppers belong to the Capsicum genus, while this plant belongs to Solanum genus.

It's name in Latin means "like a pepper" because it's actually similar to a pepper; however its flower is completely different and it has no heat!

Notice that the link to wikipedia shows the Solanum pseudocapsicum, which is a different (althought similar) species;

"pseudocapsicum" in Latin means "false capsicum".

The true S.Capsicastrum is known as "Christmas cherry", but there is some confusion on the net between the two plants (so I'm not completely sure if mine are capsicastrum or pseudocapsicum)

Warning! Do not taste any solanaceae if not sure it's a pepper! Many solanaceae are dangerous, even lethal!

PS.

These plants, that anger!, don't suffer frost; they're still alive and well after many nights in the range -10/0 °C

PepperLover

thnx for the great info what can we do with these things claudio just to look at ?

it bhad good taste but now after you said not to try i will not

Reyna

It sounds as is this is only good to grow as a conversational piece and to be growing the kinfolk of pepper.

Someone offered me a trade of Solanum Incompletum (Popolo Ku Mai), which I would have gladly traded for -

however it turns out she was not sure if this was truly that species or if it were a different plant. I guess I'm just a

nut for any Solanacea (most!).