Sign in to follow this  
AlexH

Advice on thinning seedlings

AlexH

Hi,

Now that I have a number of germinations, sometimes with more than one seedling per pot, I was wondering at what stage I should thin the seedlings so as to choose the one plant per pot that will be transplanted :D ?

The seedlings are all currenly at the "two leaf" (Cotyledon) stage... is this the right moment, or should I wait until the first "proper" leaves emerge?

How should I decide between two seedlings (if one is not obviously damaged)... should I choose the taller one, the one that germinated first etc etc??

Finally, is there a best technique to thin (kill? :) ) the unwanted plant? ...just pull it from the soil? ...cut the stem? ...others?

Once again, thanks in advance for your advice!

pioc

Hi AlexH,

IMHO I'll wait the time when the plants have 2/3 couple of leaves and then choise

thoose seems more strong and healthier, it's easy, do you agree?

Are sure you want erase the others? :D

Couldn't you gift them to any friends?

:)

Lonewolf

I can't help ... never sowed (intentionally) two seeds in a single pot.

nipotastro
Hi,

Now that I have a number of germinations, sometimes with more than one seedling per pot, I was wondering at what stage I should thin the seedlings so as to choose the one plant per pot that will be transplanted :lol: ?

The seedlings are all currenly at the "two leaf" (Cotyledon) stage... is this the right moment, or should I wait until the first "proper" leaves emerge?

How should I decide between two seedlings (if one is not obviously damaged)... should I choose the taller one, the one that germinated first etc etc??

Finally, is there a best technique to thin (kill? :lol: ) the unwanted plant? ...just pull it from the soil? ...cut the stem? ...others?

Once again, thanks in advance for your advice!

when i have 2 born in one glass, i use to pull gently the external one and then i transplant it in another glass... they call it bare root transplant.

i don't take care about highest or other... simply the external... is more easy to take, and the other remains on the right place...

i prefer do that when plants have only 2 leaves, because so they have a single root, and pull gently you don't break it...

AlexH
Are sure you want erase the others? ;)

Couldn't you gift them to any friends?

;)

I am happy to say I have found a good home for my "unwanted" seedlings! ...and hopefully a new convert to Chiledom! ;)

pioc
;)

AlexH

I just tried the "bare root transplant" on 5 seedlings, they are now wilting quite badly :D is it normal...? How long should they take to recover?

Lonewolf

Maybe some hour ... as I write, they should be already in perfect shape again.

AlexH

Two are well recovered, another is looking like it will recover but two are still quite wilted... I will keep my fingers crossed, but perhaps I need some more practice with this technique! :wacko:

AlexH

I checked again this morning and it looks like all 5 will be OK! :wacko:

nipotastro

woo-hooo!

AlexH

Grazie! :lol: