AlexH

Just planted!

AlexH

Day 17:

The seeds must be able to sense that today I will be at home, there have been 6 new germinations in the night!!

Romanian Yellow & Small Hot Cherry (Both planted on 06/01 ...so 10 days after planting)

AND

Cajamarca, Chupetino, Pimenta Kathumby, & Scorpion (all planted on 09/01 ...so only 7 days after planting! :D )

...maybe my light box will have to be a bit bigger!! :D

mich

6 germinations a day keeps doctor away! :D

AlexH
6 germinations a day keeps doctor away! :D

:D :D :D ...and the wife! :D

kirmen1980

it is easier for the wife to extricate yourself of the way :D:D

AlexH

I've tried today to improve the light set up, now I have 4200 lumens (I got 2 x 24W CFT and 1 x 20W)... I couldn't find in our local DIY shop exactly what I was looking for to build a better looking light box, so it looks a bit of a mess...! :wacko:

I also realised that the light temperature was wrong, the other bulbs were 2700K that I think is not so good to promote growth... the new ones are 4000K, hopefully this will be better! B)

Tomorrow I'll go to a bigger shop and try to get something more "professional" looking...!

post-638-1263653569.jpg

AlexH
I suggest you re-pot and bury most of the stem, leaves 2-3 cm off the ground.

nothing happens to the plant rather issue new roots.

Kirmen, I've also tried this today... I'll let you know if it works! Thanks

mich

The settings are funny eh eh eh! I was sure you go in a shop to get professional situation, it's normal for everybody, soon or later (presto o tardi) we all want "the best"! :wacko:

kirmen1980
Kirmen, I've also tried this today... I'll let you know if it works! Thanks

see that you will not regret having done so, and thank you confidence

AlexH

Day 18:

The seedlings must be liking their new light set up :wacko: , today there are lots of signs that the first "proper" leaves will be arriving soon...

post-638-1263714554.jpg

post-638-1263714575.jpg

kirmen1980

you'll see that gratified

a method to determine if the plants receive proper light when they are so small and look at their legs when a color is purple, then the light is ok but if it is a green light is short, I see that your plants are some coloring the stem of purple, it means that it is going well (see those 2 in the lower right)

AlexH
you'll see that gratified

a method to determine if the plants receive proper light when they are so small and look at their legs when a color is purple, then the light is ok but if it is a green light is short, I see that your plants are some coloring the stem of purple, it means that it is going well (see those 2 in the lower right)

That's really interesting! I've just had a look at the others and the ones that germinated yesterday all have purple stems!! Good news! :wacko:

Thanks again for all your advice!!

kirmen1980
That's really interesting! I've just had a look at the others and the ones that germinated yesterday all have purple stems!! Good news! :wacko:

Thanks again for all your advice!!

Please is a pleasure to help new farmers, you'll see that soon you'll know a lot about chiles

AlexH
:lol:

AlexH

I just checked the germbox and I am pleased to announce the first Bhut Jolokia germination!!! :lol:

AlexH

Day 19:

Not so many germinations today, but I do have a request for some advice...

If the seed case does not come off the leaves by itself what is the best/correct way to remove it? (I tried pulling one off gently from a seedling and it broke the leaves :D ...fortunately it was a "Romanian Yellow" of which I already have some viable seedlings, but if it happens to a more important variety I want to be correctly prepared!

Thanks, as always, for your help!! :D

kirmen1980

Hello, I am happy for the bhut Jolokia pepper that is germinated.

if cotiledono trapped in the seed, you should try to soak the seed (perhaps relying on a small piece of wet towel, or keep it very moist atmosphere or put drops of water on the seed) so that it becomes soft, Then take tweezers from eyebrows and barely squeezing the sides of the seed and pulling to remove it should slip off.

percaso any case where the cotyledons were to break or halve the plant is equally likely to continue to live and to leaf

Lonewolf

I agree with kirmen.

the best thing is to be patient (for 1 or 2 days, not more!) and keep the seed moist.

In many case cotyledons are able to free by themselves.

If not, you must remove seed ... a steady hand is required.

The loss of part of cotyledons is not a severe damage; plant may survive even with one or a small part of portion of cotyledons.

For sure it's very difficult try to free cotyledons in a rare, hard to germinate and (damn!) even small seedling, for example a C.Lanceolatum one (luckily never happen to me ...)

AlexH

Thanks Kirmen and Lonewolf, that's very helpful. I hope I don't need to try it, but it's good to know what to do just in case!

I am also pleased to announce that the first Naga Morich seed has germinated today! B)

mich
I am also pleased to announce that the first Naga Morich seed has germinated today! B)

Well done!

AlexH

Thanks Mich! B)

kirmen1980

well I'm glad that they have suffered so much from great light germinated :)

ottone

wonderful cultivation!!! (e -5)

AlexH

Thanks Ottone! ...and congratulations I think!! :)

AlexH
well I'm glad that they have suffered so much from great light germinated :)

Thanks Kirmen!

There are still the Bhut Jolokia Chocolates and Congo Blacks to go ...interesting that the brown podded plants take longer to germinate!

kirmen1980

bhut Jolokia pepper is a bit more time to germinate but not because it is dark, but because it is a particular variety :)