AlexH

Just planted!

AlexH

OK, so I decided I couldn't wait any longer to plant my 2010 crop so I've been out this morning to get hold of what I needed.

I couldn't find a proper propagator so I got a clear plastic box and drilled a few holes in the lid! (hopefully it will work).

So far I've planted: Anaheim, Tabasco, Hungarian Hot Wax, Demon Red and Jalapeno (3 pots of each, with two seeds per pot, two in ordinary seeding compost and the other in coir compost) and two pots each of Cayenne and some of the frozen Tiny Samoan seeds (...worth a try I guess).

I've left space in there for the super hots when they arrive (thanks guys! ;) )

Hopefully the set up is OK, I've put a thermometer in there to make sure the temperature is right (between 15 and 20°C right??) They're on a south facing window sill so I think I'll have to make sure they don't get too hot!

I've watered the pots but I guess with the lid on there shouldn't be much evaporation. Should I water again before germination??

Here's a few photos so you can see the situation!

post-638-1262182034.jpg

post-638-1262182094.jpg

post-638-1262182150.jpg

Chuck

Good luck!

pioc

Hopefully the set up is OK, I've put a thermometer in there to make sure the temperature is right (between 15 and 20°C right??) They're on a south facing window sill so I think I'll have to make sure they don't get too hot!

I've watered the pots but I guess with the lid on there shouldn't be much evaporation. Should I water again before germination??

Hi AlexH!

If you could set range 20//28... max 30° is optimal!

The actual setting however could give germinations but you have to wait much more time

than usual. ;)

If needed (for example valuating pot's weight) a little water ... could be addicted.

Sorry for my not perfect english! B)

AlexH

Thanks Pioc, that's useful: I've put them somewhere warmer!

Sorry for my not perfect english! ;)

Sorry for the fact I'm not writing in Italian!!

pioc
B);)

AlexH

In the new place it's stabilised at 26 degrees, hopefully this is better.

About how long should it take for germination at this kind of temperature?

mich

Ok, it's nice! Now don't touch them before germination B) ! No, is not true, you have to control the water, but i (we) have a trick: cover your pots with cellophan, in this way you don't need to give more water. But the "problem" is that you have the yellow labels and they are not "coverable" ;) .

Already began with the Annuum? I think and i hope you have a lot of space with a greenhouse ore something else... B)

(sorry for my english too eh eh eh, i hope what i write is understanding...)

AlexH

Thanks! B)

I don't have a proper greenhouse but I have a plastic covered structure with shelves that I used last year from about March, until then I will just keep them inside in the window (it's quite sunny) I hope it will be OK!

I kept a few seeds back so if it's a disaster I'll start again later ;)

Lonewolf
In the new place it's stabilised at 26 degrees, hopefully this is better.

Yes, temperatures between 25 and 30°C are in the correct range.

About how long should it take for germination at this kind of temperature?

Normally first germinations happen in 3-4 days, the peak is after 9-10 days depending on the varieties sowed.

At lower temperatures, germination time increase very quickly.

AlexH

P.S. The English is perfect

AlexH

Thanks Lonewolf! I'll post some photos of the first sprouts!! (...hopefully?!)

mich
Thanks! B)

I don't have a proper greenhouse but I have a plastic covered structure with shelves that I used last year from about March, until then I will just keep them inside in the window (it's quite sunny) I hope it will be OK!

I kept a few seeds back so if it's a disaster I'll start again later ;)

If you used it last year and had good results, why have troubles? B)

Anyway, it's right to keep seeds for a second turn!

AlexH

The start of something beautiful...!

So here we are on day 4, and as predicted by Lonewolf, the first signs of germination have arrived...

here is a photo of my first "baby" ...a Jalapeno planted in coir compost... :lol:

post-638-1262509158.jpg

Piccantilly

Congratulations

post-415-1262510325.gif

mich

Olé! :lol:

AlexH

Day 7: No actual full germinations yet, but the root I saw emerging on day 4 is progressing well (and growing a lot of side "hairs")! There are some other signs of roots emerging on the other seeds too, so I'm optimistic I'll see the first green sprouts any day now! :huh:

I also found a bigger garden centre and bought a "proper" heated propagator so I've transferred the seeds to it today, hopefully this will help keep the temperature more stable.

I also found seeds for two more varieties: Romanian Yellow and Small Red Cherry which I've planted today...

post-638-1262791792.jpg

post-638-1262791823.jpg

mich

Yeah, it works!

Two new varieties... ah ah, i'm sure the new varieties in the next days will become many more eheheheh!!!

AlexH

...I can't wait!!! :huh:

AlexH

First Green Sprouts!

Today (Day 8) I saw the first signs of green!

Not on the Jalapeno that was looking like it would with the race, but on the Anaheim. But...

;) There was "someone" waiting to meet the new arrival! (see the first picture!)

(needless to say I "took care" of the situation!)

It made me think though... where do these things come from?! :lol:

post-638-1262890738.jpg

post-638-1262890762.jpg

mich

What a terrific beast!!! It's too soon, where does it come from??? Incredible! Kill him!!! Sure there are eggs all around, maybe in the substrat...

AlexH

It's dead!!

...but I have no idea where it came from, the compost was a dehydrated pellet which I soaked on the day of planting, the rest of the time it's been sealed in the propagator.

It was a sunny day here yesterday so we did have the doors open for a while, maybe it came in from the garden and crawled into the propagator through the air vent, but it's really incredible!

I will be checking for more! :lol:

mich
It's dead!!

...but I have no idea where it came from, the compost was a dehydrated pellet which I soaked on the day of planting, the rest of the time it's been sealed in the propagator.

It was a sunny day here yesterday so we did have the doors open for a while, maybe it came in from the garden and crawled into the propagator through the air vent, but it's really incredible!

I will be checking for more! :lol:

Yeah, keep attention Alex! Before my lightbox 2010 settings i cleaned perfectly (with water and/or alcool) all the parts, all the mm2 to be sure there are no powder with beast or eggs. Incredible situation, i guess it's the only one.

AlexH

...I hope so! I've checked all of the other pots and no sign of more, but I will keep checking each day.

AlexH

...no more this morning! :lol:

mich

Olé! :lol: