Sign in to follow this  
AlexH

Kashmiri Mirch

AlexH

Has anyone heard of this variety? (...or better still is anyone growing it?)

I have a really good book of curry recipies that talks about it but I've never been able to track it down. Apparently it's not very hot but gives a deep red colour and a fruity flavour to the food.

In the book there are some pictures of it (but only dried) it seems like a C.Annuum shape but with a rounded tip (a bit like a Jalapeno) and quite smooth skin for a dried pod. The colour looks like a typical dried red chilli colour, and the size I guess is about 5cm/2 inches long.

mich

I can only send you to the "chileman.org" database, here.

Stefania

In indiano mirch significa semplicemente peperoncino.

Come descritto nel database chileman.org sicuramente è un peperoncino del Kashmiri.

Lonewolf

Il nome sembra proprio un termine generico per indicare peperoncini rossi essiccati provenienti da quella zona; un po' come dire "peperoncino di Calabria essiccato".

Il Kashmir pero' confina con l'Assam! ... da quelle parti c'e' "roba buona" ;)

Piccantilly
Il nome sembra proprio un termine generico per indicare peperoncini rossi essiccati provenienti da quella zona; un po' come dire "peperoncino di Calabria essiccato".

Il Kashmir pero' confina con l'Assam! ... da quelle parti c'e' "roba buona" B)

... e già ... il bhut di quelle parti !!! ;)B)

AlexH

Grazie a tutti, nel libro peró c'é una distinzione tra quelle che sono venduti, anche in India, come "Kashmiri" ("So-called Kashmiri") che sembrano piú o meno un Cayenne, ed il "vero" Kashmiri (che hanno questa forma distintiva, piú come Jalapeno).

Se riesco scannerizare la pagina del libro vi faccio vedere!

(scusate per il mio Italiano! ;) )

AlexH

OK so I couldn't get the scanner to work but I took a couple of photos of the pictures in the book so that you can see the difference between the "true" and "so-called" Kashmiri chillies... I hope this helps identify it?

(The book, by the way, is called "50 Great Curries of India" by Camellia Panjabi; IBSN 1 85626 380 0, and is one of the best books about Indian food I've ever read... if you like curries I recommend it! ;) )

I hope you can read the text on the pictures but if not: in the first picture the True Kashmiri is on the left, in the second picture it's in the centre and the one to it's right is the "so-called" Kashmiri, the others are various other types with their Indian names.

post-638-1262266957.jpg

post-638-1262266993.jpg

mich

Nice book, thanks for suggestion, i love curries and i always make my own myself on the market, where people sell indian powders...post-299-1262267963.gif

AlexH

I love them too... in fact I was thinking it would be good to have a thread of curry recipies in the "Ricette" section (mine always include chillies so it would hopefully still be considered "on topic"!!) ...especially if someone has some authentic recipies from Assam using the famous Nagas! ;)

...no more ideas about the Kashmiri though...??

cmpman1974

Yes I know a grower from Israel who grows them. :sorcerer: He speaks very highly of this pepper!

Chris

AlexH
Yes I know a grower from Israel who grows them. :sorcerer: He speaks very highly of this pepper!

Chris

Thanks Chris that's great! apparently they are highly sought after also in India.

Does he have any pictures of the plants & flowers or of the fruits before they are dried, it would be great to try and identify if it is a cultivar known by any other names?

Alex

cmpman1974

AlexH, he is a member of another forum called The Hot Pepper. His username is Omri. I'm not sure of the answer to your question, but I'm sure he could help. ;)

Chris

AlexH

Thanks Chris... I'll try to make contact! ;)

futurbo

Anyone already succeeded in growing the "real" Kashmiri Mirch?

Lonewolf

I had no new about this.