Sign in to follow this  
AlexH

Tiny Samoa (C.Annuum)

AlexH

Does anyone know anything about this variety, I bought a plant a few months ago (which has produced a lot of pods) it's now indoors but doesn't seem to be producing many new flowers... is it normal? I can't find out much information about this typw.

Thanks!

Lonewolf

I don't know this variety.

Some photoes of flowers and pods would be useful to better identify it.

Peppers produce flowers and pods continuously when condition (temperature and light) are good.

Flowers setup only stops if fruits load is enough for the plant capability, but restart when mature pods are harvested.

AlexH

Unfortunately I've harvested all the pods and there are no new flowers, the only photos I've got are from when I found a caterpillar eating one of the pods! (must have had a strong stomach!)

...the pods are small (about 1 cm) and turned from green to red. The leaves are quite small and the plant is low and bushy. The plant still seems quite healthy, but some of the leaves have dried up and fallen off, maybe it's too dry now it's inside?

...does this help?

post-638-1262113630.jpg

post-638-1262113653.jpg

mich

MiSchia, questa mi mancava... buon appete ;)

I can't help you about the Samoa...

Lonewolf

Nice photoes ...

No problem fr the caterpillar stomach, probably it has no receptor for capsaicin.

Can't say anything more about the plant, except it's almost surely a C.Annuum.

PepperLover

nice pics, how hot is it ?

AlexH

Thanks, glad you like the pictures! ;)

I found a couple of images doing a Google search where you can see the plant better than in my pictures (see links below). The plant is similar, mine was never quite as prolific and the pods on mine seem slightly shorter than these. The only info that I can find is that it's a "minature South Pacific variety" (I guess it's a variety developed there rather than truly native?)

www.pbase.com/chiles400/image/50219171

www.pbase.com/chiles400/image/48200406

It's pretty hot, I've been using a few pods at a time (between 2 and 5 depending on what I'm cooking) and they pack quite a punch for their size. I'm guessing that they're a bit hotter than the Cayenne peppers I grew, but I haven't done a direct comparison. I've also used some to make a Chilli Oil which is quite spicy.

I hope the plant starts producing again and then I can send you some better pictures of the flowers etc

megamastger71

My tiny samoa

post-245-1261990871.jpg

AlexH

Excellent! It seems like a great looking plant, how old is it? Mine was never that productive, and now has nothing on it. Is it normal that they stop producing flowers and pods for a while and then can start again?

AlexH

Hi! Welcome to the forum ...and thanks! :lol:

The plant in the photo seems to have pods that are a bit larger than my one, but it's hard to judge the scale...

Reyna

I recently traded with a guy in Hawaii. He traded some "hawaiian pepper". The pods he sent me look so similar to the Tiny Samoa. The smell of dried pods is absolutely delicious. I haven't tried any pods but they smelled so great - nice and smoky! I put some in some soil recently and hopefully we'll have some pictures soon!

Danny