Sign in to follow this  
L0rdn40

Jalapeno Numex Lemon Spice X Jalapeno Brown (F3) LN02 Brown Pheno

L0rdn40

7.jpg.b35bf89794e83301d933b78c415132cd.jpg

8.jpg.4aecda5e187602c0b06d4a4e0219fbdc.jpg

Eric Knight

I am looking for the history of the brown jalapeno and its creator. I am open to the possibility of course that many people may have separately created the Brown Jalapeno. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Eric Knight

semillas

My Brown Jalapeño (grown and offered since 2015) came from a customer in Germany. 

Showed up in a group of normal red Jalapeños.

Since then has been distributed worldwide, I don´t know if there is another, different Brown Jalapeño line

Characteristics: very long and NO blunt end, some corching may show up

Background is unknown.

I supposed it to be a cross, but was stable from the beginning.

Peter

• Thanks 1

L0rdn40
On 11/21/2022 at 7:44 AM, semillas said:

My Brown Jalapeño (grown and offered since 2015) came from a customer in Germany. 

Showed up in a group of normal red Jalapeños.

Since then has been distributed worldwide, I don´t know if there is another, different Brown Jalapeño line

Characteristics: very long and NO blunt end, some corching may show up

Background is unknown.

I supposed it to be a cross, but was stable from the beginning.

Peter

Hello Peter. This is the section reserved for hybrids and as you can see from the cross between Jalapeno Numex Lemon Spice X Jalapeno Brown I got all the possible colors: Red, Yellow, Brown and Green. I am aware that there are other Brown Jalapenos, including the father plant in this hybrid. In fact my goal was not to get a brown Jalapeno but a green one and I got 3 different kinds.

1. https://www.pepperfriends.com/forum/topic/18269-jalapeno-numex-lemon-spice-x-jalapeno-brown-f3-da-ln01-a-ln10-permagreen/
  2. https://www.pepperfriends.com/forum/topic/18268-jalapeno-numex-lemon-spice-x-jalapeno-brown-f3-ln02-green-pheno/
  3. https://www.pepperfriends.com/forum/topic/18267-jalapeno-numex-lemon-spice-x-jalapeno-brown-f3-ln01-green-pheno/

I don't know the history of the brown Jalapeno you are referring to but I can guarantee you this: it is just one of the many brown Jalapenos that can be obtained by knowing a minimum of genetics applied to Capsicum.

In the case you have described, if the brown phenotype showed up in a group of normal red Jalapeños, it is probable that the seeds from which these plants were derived were produced without isolating the buds and therefore, at least two generations earlier, spontaneously hybridized with a compatible variety that had brown fruit (or green if we're being picky).

Sincerely,

Rolando

L0rdn40
On 11/20/2022 at 2:04 PM, Eric Knight said:

I am looking for the history of the brown jalapeno and its creator. I am open to the possibility of course that many people may have separately created the Brown Jalapeno. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Eric Knight

Hello Eric. Jalapeno brown is none other than a Jalapeno carrying the dominant gene R and the recessive gene cl. Paul G. Smith's "Inheritance of Brown and Green Mature fruit color in peppers (smith1950.pdf)" can be read in this sense, as it is written simply as a brown phenotype is obtained. So, if you want to know how any brown Jalapeno was obtained, the answer is very simple: a red Jalapeno was hybridized with a pepper carrying the cl gene (or self-hybridized if the seeds are not pure) and, from F2 generation, the phenotype resembling a Jalapeno Brown in shape was selected until stabilization. There are many combinations to bring the R gene together with the cl gene, but there are no practical methods other than hybridization.

As for the history of a specific (first?) Jalapeno Brown and its creator, I don't know it also because, for the reasons I have listed above, it is plausible to think that there are more than one Jalapeno Brown in circulation. However you can ask in the general section, here it is offtopic because we are in the users' hybrid section and both this thread and the previous document my hybrid of Jalapeno Numex Lemon Spice X Jalapeno Brown, reporting all the past history including the other phenotypes so that, if a day one of them should be stabilized, anyone will be able to see its genesis and there will be no doubts about its history and its creator like those you raised for a Jalapeno Brown which evidently is not this one.

However, I remain available to clarify here any curiosity regarding my hybrid.

Sincerely,

Rolando

• Thanks 1

L0rdn40

For the avoidance of doubt, I highlight that in this thread no one has ever claimed to be the father of the first Jalapeno Brown. I have only documented the different phenotypes obtained from my Jalapeno Numex Lemon Spice X Jalapeno Brown hybrid.