Jari

Jari 2022

Jari

A new growing season is starting. I grow peppers in the southwest Finland where cultivation is quite challenging. In the winter time the coldness is a problem, the other is darkness. In early march there will be enough sun shine and the first plants move into the greenhouse and they are C.pubescens. Indoor season is long and usually it starts in december when I sow first pubescens. January and february I sow other species.

Next season I will grow about 30 varieties of C.pubescens and all the seeds will be sown this year. C.pubescens are slow and plants have to be a strong enough when they move into the greenhouse. In early spring strong flowering begins and the sun shines for almost 10 hours a day to the greenhouse . The night temperature is about +13 degrees and pubescens enjoy the climate in the greenhouse while there is still frost and snow outside.

This year I sow ten rocoto varieties as early as november because the seeds are five years old and the original ones I collected from Peru. The germination has been quite slow for a couple of years now. I want to use the original seeds as long as it is possible, I have never shared these with anyone.

Peruvian rocotos  

Rocoto Pico Mucho

Rocoto de la selva Lima

Rocoto Surquillo 1

Rocoto Rojo San Camilo

Rocoto de la selva Rojo Arequipa

Rocoto Pisac Rojo

Rocoto Pisac Orange

Rocoto Cuzco Manzano Amarillo

Rocoto Cuello Rojo Ollantaytambo

Rocoto Orange Ollantaytambo (the original seeds and my seeds)

IMG_2298.jpg.ac98a031e8911df5b67039d09657a018.jpg

Original seeds

IMG_2331.jpg.a03c7c3607f6ea007eb070b7a5e22ed2.jpg

Day zero 16.11-2021

thank you - Jari

• Like 5

L0rdn40

Good Start Jari! I'm glad you decided to share your experience with us.

P.S. I have already learned one thing. Rice in sachets with seeds it's an ingenious solution against humidity.

• Thanks 1

Vincer

Have a nice season!!!

Ciao

Vincenzo

• Thanks 1

Rapace

In bocca al lupo per la coltivazione

• Thanks 1

Oban

Hi Jari, nice to see your coltivation on PF.

You are a master in the growth of Rocotos.

• Thanks 1

RocotoD

Great list of Rocotos!

Buona coltivazione!

Dario

• Thanks 1

Ste182

Good luck!

It's nice to see so many Rocoto... I will follow you! 

• Thanks 1

escucho

Have a good cultivation @Jari. Nice Rocoto’s selection. I’m really curious to see your progress. 

• Thanks 1

ChilliCrosser

Looking forward to seeing all those varieties, good luck getting your 2022 season started.

• Thanks 1

Jari

Very slow start this year, sad to see that many of my original peruvians are not very viable anymore.

Seeds germinated so far (C.pubescens)

-          Rocoto Pico Mucho

-          Rocoto Rojo San Camilo

-          Rocoto Pisac Rojo

-          Rocoto Pisac Orange

-          Rocoto Cuello Rojo Ollantaytambo

-          Rocoto Cuzco Manzano Amarillo

-          Rocoto de la selva Rojo Arequipa

other pubescens germinated

-          Rocoto Peru Amarillo

-          Rocoto Oculto Clef

-          Rocopica Extra Large

-          Rocoto La Paz Rojo

-          Rocoto Sin Calor

-          Rocoto Cristobal Colombo

-          Locoto Ovale VG (pepperfriends)

-          Rocoto Chicon (pepperfriends)

-          Rocoto Ada (pepperfriends)

-          Giant Yellow Padre Onore (pepperfriends)

-          Peru8969 ? (pepperfriends)

-          Rocoto Oval (pepperfriends)

-          Rocoto Stolen Yellow (pepperfriends)

Wild

C.lanceolatum (pepperfriends)

IMG_2446.jpg

• Like 3

ChilliCrosser

Always good to see the first seedlings!

Good news you've already got a C.Lanceolatum germinated, mine are being very slow.

• Like 1

L0rdn40
1 hour ago, Jari said:

sad to see that many of my original peruvians are not very viable anymore.

Hi Jari. I have viable seeds of Rocoto Ollantaytambo Orange (OP), these are the ones I already showed you. A friend has already sown them and they germinated without problems. If you want these seeds, leave me your address in private I will gladly send them to you. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Jari
1 hour ago, ChilliCrosser said:

Always good to see the first seedlings!

Good news you've already got a C.Lanceolatum germinated, mine are being very slow.

Thanks a lot, Lance was very fast, only 11 days.

Jari
33 minutes ago, L0rdn40 said:

Hi Jari. I have viable seeds of Rocoto Ollantaytambo Orange (OP), these are the ones I already showed you. A friend has already sown them and they germinated without problems. If you want these seeds, leave me your address in private I will gladly send them to you. :thumbsup:

wow, thanks maybe I wait this week if something happens but I am not optimistic now. 😒

Jari

IMG_2618.jpg.010b57e211f592e1d54ba19e27a9aa66.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg.bd5b299acc2b58921f6261a3ab5a0754.jpg

The first rocoto plants branching now and they are about 5 centimeters  length. It is one of the most important things in seedling  because many of my plants grows in the summer in hanging basket on the roof of a greenhouse. In midsummer these plants are 50 centimeters high and two meter wide. On the roof of the greenhouse they get plenty of light and start to make plenty of fruit.

IMG_2607.jpg.ab878d60e64e2ae592e1f65026811615.jpg

IMG_2619.jpg.3e9d35437579bf1500823119c51de834.jpg

Today it was time to repotting first plants. The first time I am testing also Symbivit mychorrhiza. I think the roots are in ideal shape.

IMG_2629(Edited).jpg.9c551d4c7fe19eb9f1f31e20bd2fbd4f.jpg

I have now two sized pots in use, 3 liter and 1 liter. After that the plants go to the final pots and then they are already in the greenhouse, The greenhouse season starts in week 9 or 10.

ciao - Jari

• Like 6

Jari

IMG_2681.jpg.060d7ef61380ccd0d75c1ace578e933b.jpg

32 C.pubescens plants this year, I think it is enough now

C.chinenses 2022

- Aji Dulce Puerto Rico

- Aji Margariteño

- Pockmark Orange

- Zanzibar Habanero

- Miscucho Colorado (yellow pheno)

C.baccatums 2022

- Aji Blacareta (pepperfriends)

- Aji Imbabura

- Aji Trombito

• Like 4

Batigolle
On 12/20/2021 at 4:49 PM, Jari said:

Very slow start this year, sad to see that many of my original peruvians are not very viable anymore.

Wild

C.lanceolatum (pepperfriends)

Nice list of Rocoto, good cultivation !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rapace
On 12/20/2021 at 4:49 PM, Jari said:

Mmmmmmm never say never........ we have a record of more than 500 days to get a seed germinated..... @Lonewolf .... please confirm.

You could maybe donate those seeds or part of them to Pepperfriends and with 'a little help from your friends' maybe we can try to replicate..... just an idea.

Wow. It seems you are 'master of Rocotos'

I like Rocotos as well.... and I'm looking for some 'unusual' shapes and colours..... we have a huge number of 'Manzana-like' Rocotos..... but I would like to grow something different.... do you have some suggestions according to your experience ?

• Like 3

Jari
On 1/25/2022 at 8:00 PM, Rapace said:

Mmmmmmm never say never........ we have a record of more than 500 days to get a seed germinated..... @Lonewolf .... please confirm.

You could maybe donate those seeds or part of them to Pepperfriends and with 'a little help from your friends' maybe we can try to replicate..... just an idea.

Thank you @Rapace, definitely I can donate seeds to pepperfriends if you want, end of season. I think pepperfriends seed database is amazing.👍

I have grown rocotos more than ten years and every year I am looking for new varieties from all over the world. My rocoto assortment includes nearly 150 varieties now but many seeds are quite old. 🙄

• Like 1

L0rdn40
3 hours ago, Jari said:

Thank you @Rapace, definitely I can donate seeds to pepperfriends if you want, end of season. I think pepperfriends seed database is amazing.👍

I have grown rocotos more than ten years and every year I am looking for new varieties from all over the world. My rocoto assortment includes nearly 150 varieties now but many seeds are quite old. 🙄

My friend if these seeds do not germinate you I think it is difficult for someone else to replicate them ... ;) 

I, of your fantastic seeds, have managed to germinate Rocoto ollantaytambo amarillo (I have ten plants), Rocoto puno pica Orange and Rocoto puno amarillo only 2 plants of each on a dozen seeds, Rocoto cuzco manzano amarillo none but I will try with the seeds of a friend who has grown and preserved them. Unfortunately some rocoto are difficult to germinate, especially from old seeds, but if you insist you will succeed in the end, do not give up and next year the ones I collect will be at your disposal. I have also kept the Rocoto Ollantaytambo Orange plant and have many seeds of both this and Rocoto Pisac Orange. I also found a friend who is an admirer of your Rocotos from Peru, he keeps almost all of them, then I give you the list in private. @Oban is taking care of the Rocoto Puno Blanco, I entrusted them to him because I know he will certainly not fail. One step at a time we will reconstruct and describe the entire collection!

Rapace
6 hours ago, L0rdn40 said:

My friend if these seeds do not germinate you I think it is difficult for someone else to replicate them ... ;) 

Yep, i agree..... but difficult doesn't mean impossible 😎

Of course if somebody already -correcly- replicated them there is no need to use elder seeds to 'preserve' such cultivars.

If there is the risk to 'loose forever' some varieties because of availablity of elder seeds only........every path in order to preserve them make sense.

Jari
10 hours ago, L0rdn40 said:

I, of your fantastic seeds, have managed to germinate Rocoto ollantaytambo amarillo (I have ten plants), Rocoto puno pica Orange and Rocoto puno amarillo only 2 plants of each on a dozen seeds, Rocoto cuzco manzano amarillo none but I will try with the seeds of a friend who has grown and preserved them. Unfortunately some rocoto are difficult to germinate, especially from old seeds, but if you insist you will succeed in the end, do not give up and next year the ones I collect will be at your disposal. I have also kept the Rocoto Ollantaytambo Orange plant and have many seeds of both this and Rocoto Pisac Orange. I also found a friend who is an admirer of your Rocotos from Peru, he keeps almost all of them, then I give you the list in private. @Oban is taking care of the Rocoto Puno Blanco, I entrusted them to him because I know he will certainly not fail. One step at a time we will reconstruct and describe the entire collection!

I have both original and my own produced seeds of these peruvian varieties. My own seeds germinate almost always because they are new, the only problem I have is Rocoto Orange Ollantaytambo, neither seed germinates. 
I am sorry if you have had problem with seeds I sent you because they are my own produced and quite new.
Maybe i ask you Rocoto Orange Ollantaytambo seeds for next year. Now it is too late to germinate rocotos in Finland. 

@L0rdn40 If you need new seeds just keep me informed I check the situation if I have

L0rdn40
4 hours ago, Jari said:

@L0rdn40 If you need new seeds just keep me informed I check the situation if I have

Absolutely not Jari, thank you, if I had thought there was some problem with the seeds I would have written to you in private. It just happens sometimes and in any case I have already obtained new seeds, Rocoto cuzco manzano amarillo is also in association.

• Like 1

Jari
On 1/25/2022 at 8:00 PM, Rapace said:

I like Rocotos as well.... and I'm looking for some 'unusual' shapes and colours..... we have a huge number of 'Manzana-like' Rocotos..... but I would like to grow something different.... do you have some suggestions according to your experience ?

@Rapace Some of my "not manzanos"

1177409840_PunoAmarillo.JPG.7c1f82fd318012903a210fa45e637f46.JPG

My "peruvian torpedo" Rocoto Puno Amarillo, I discovered it from farmers market in Puno, middle heat and great crispy taste.

1744333329_CuelloRojoOllantaytambo.JPG.2fa168beb54ca89ebe9a389b22bfb386.JPG

Rocoto Cuello Rojo Ollantaytambo, Old quechua lady gave it to me in small city of Ollantaytambo, nearby Machu Picchu. One of my favorite and there is a lot of good vibes in this variety.

1153600521_RocotodelaselvaRojoArequipaFB1.jpg.5fcb55c91b1a3afd468b1bcea9096f28.jpg

My "red hand grenade" from Arequipa. If we talk about taste not the best

1794877173_RocotoAmarilloArequipa1.jpg.6013dafcd721c316d1995ef8ed4c2707.jpg

Rocoto Amarillo Arequipa, I discovered from Arequipa, farmers market San Camilo, maybe one of the most beautiful variety I have grown. Beautiful shoulders in pod.

• Like 4

Jari
6 minutes ago, Jari said:

Rocoto Picante San Camilo 1.jpg

Rocoto Picante San Camilo, from same place and very aromatic and long fruit.

• Like 4