Pepper Guru

F2 Variance

51690947957_007e92c550_b.jpg

• Like 5

Lonewolf

Wow! 

Did you travel to Perù NOW?

No problem with Covid-19?

Which Capsicum did you find in the wild?

I'll look at the full video (I visualized some parts of it by jumping back and forth), but probably I'll not be able to understand comments and dialogs in English or Spanish.

• Like 1

Pepper Guru
3 hours ago, Lonewolf said:

Wow! 

Did you travel to Perù NOW?

No problem with Covid-19?

Which Capsicum did you find in the wild?

I'll look at the full video (I visualized some parts of it by jumping back and forth), but probably I'll not be able to understand comments and dialogs in English or Spanish.

This trip was in 2015

I just now got around to editing and publishing it. 

I wasn’t focused on wilds on this trip. More focused on domesticated favorites, hiking the Salkantay, plant medicines in Iquitos, visiting megalithic ancient sites, and just finding myself really. 

21 days spent there. That trip was a perception changer for sure. 

• Like 1

L0rdn40

@Pepper Guru any news about gurupica? :D

• Like 1

Pepper Guru
5 hours ago, L0rdn40 said:

@Pepper Guru any news about gurupica? :D

I decided on “Locopica” to keep the tradition of mixing “rocoto” and “Ulupica”… except in Bolivia…. The name is “Locoto” hence “Locopica” C pube x C eshbaughii. Every post above this one has plenty of F2 updates. Including group B. Which were C eshbaughii dominant with purple and yellow on corollas. See above :) 

• Like 1

Vincer

Great video, great country, great Nature and great you 🤗👍

Ciao

Vincenzo

• Like 1

Pepper Guru
On 1/6/2022 at 8:57 AM, Vincer said:

Great video, great country, great Nature and great you 🤗👍

Ciao

Vincenzo

Sometimes I get back home, and review the files and realize I took too many stills of peppers and not enough video. Which is still fine, because the place was just so eye opening, you get lost in it all. The peppers can sometimes become the afterthought. That's ok too though. Looking back they were just fleeting flashes of memory...haha 

This footage is nearly 7 years ago now. I will get better with making it a point to do more of a documentary approach on future trips though. Focusing on video for peppers, more like the Bolivia I episode. 

My dream would be to take a second camera man, a ton of batteries and do a real deep dive into more remote regions for true wilds, and even an episode to the Congo in search of the best Fatalii I can find. Dreams. Goals. One day. 

• Like 1

Rapace
43 minutes ago, Pepper Guru said:

.... and even an episode to the Congo in search of the best Fatalii I can find. Dreams. Goals. One day. 

Congo ? Are you sure ? I think Centroafrican Republic maybe...

• Like 1

Pepper Guru
4 minutes ago, Rapace said:

Yes. I'm sure. 

Rapace
7 minutes ago, Pepper Guru said:

Yes. I'm sure. 

I suppose you mean that Congo is the 'original' site where 'Fatalii was born'........ can you diclose your source ?

• Like 1

Pepper Guru
3 minutes ago, Rapace said:

I suppose you mean that Congo is the 'original' site where 'Fatalii was born'........ can you diclose your source ?

No specific source, just my conversations over the last 20 years or so with collectors. In fact, some of the oldest descriptions on all the old school pepper seed sites even touched on its landrace status being out of the Congo. After making its way out of the Americas and into the old world roughly 500 years ago, obviously. Wish there was more data on the cultivar specifically, as it's my favorite pepper and has been since around 2001 or so. Definitely my favorite C chinense dominant cultivar. 

Rapace
18 minutes ago, Pepper Guru said:

Definitely my favorite C chinense dominant cultivar. 

Mine as well 😊

Pepper Guru
3 hours ago, Rapace said:

Should I look there as well then? They are certainly close enough. 

khachaturian
4 hours ago, Pepper Guru said:

Looks similar...

https://agrimines.cd/2020/11/19/beni-une-production-communautaire-du-piment-congolais-bio/

In a related video, they say it still is a new pepper for the region (Kivu). CGN (Wageningen) has a few varieties from Kisangani (Congo, then Zaire), e.g. CGN19224. A few very nasty regions there, take care.

• Like 1

Rapace
7 hours ago, Pepper Guru said:

According to 'my' sources Fatalii's origin is not one hundred percent clear.

Introduction was coming from varieties of South America in 16th Century ... some sources thinks it was more recent....18th century.

Fatalii is considered to be selected in Central or Southern Africa ... but only few sources are speaking about a more specific area ....which is Central African Republic.....

I found some 'old medicine text' dated 70 or 60 year ago in which a number of African varieties are mentioned, and they refer to older text of 19th century.

I didn't deepen enough there... maybe there are some 'hints' which could help...

I think that Congo should also be a possibility...... and probably starting from what mentioned by khachaturian could be a good option

3 hours ago, khachaturian said:

Looks similar...

https://agrimines.cd/2020/11/19/beni-une-production-communautaire-du-piment-congolais-bio/

In a related video, they say it still is a new pepper for the region (Kivu). CGN (Wageningen) has a few varieties from Kisangani (Congo, then Zaire), e.g. CGN19224 A few very nasty regions there, take care.

I agree .... those regions are very unstable politically and very dangerous....... far more than southern America. 

• Like 1

Pepper Guru
On 1/7/2022 at 11:08 PM, khachaturian said:

Looks similar...

In a related video, they say it still is a new pepper for the region (Kivu). CGN (Wageningen) has a few varieties from Kisangani (Congo, then Zaire), e.g. CGN19224. A few very nasty regions there, take care.

On 1/8/2022 at 2:29 AM, Rapace said:

According to 'my' sources Fatalii's origin is not one hundred percent clear.

Introduction was coming from varieties of South America in 16th Century ... some sources thinks it was more recent....18th century.

Fatalii isconsidered to be selected in Central or Southern Africa ... but only few sources are speaking about a more specific area ....which is Central African Republic.....

I found some 'old medicine text' dated 70 or 60 year ago in which a number of African varieties are mentioned, and they refer to older text of 19th century.

I didn't deepen enough there... maybe there are some 'hints' which could help...

I think that Congo should also be a possibility...... and probably starting from what mentioned by khachaturian could be a good option

I agree .... those regions are very unstable politically and very dangerous....... far more than southern America.

Taking all of this into consideration. Thank you for the information. I'd love to talk more about Fatalii speciation/origin story.

I was reviewing some more footage from the last Bolivia trip and decided to make a quick video dedicated to the C caballeroi hunt. Unfinished business.

Video su YouTube: UTFDdiSizJo

• Like 3

Lonewolf
13 hours ago, Pepper Guru said:

I was reviewing some more footage from the last Bolivia trip and decided to make a quick video dedicated to the C caballeroi hunt

Nice!

I think the plant you found was one of those I saw in 2015 with Leonardo.

In that place there were two old plants in 2015 (not so healthy, but carrying fruits and flowers) and a small seedlings few meters below.

I was there again with Alex in 2019; there was only one of the old plants, slowly dying :(

Fortunately Alex and I found other plants in another area.

• Like 3