Sign in to follow this  
PepperLover

can we save seeds

PepperLover

ok i have question we all know that there is alots of hybrid peppers and we know they are two deffirant vareties

now the Question is can we save seeds from the new hybrid and that will become samke as every year or what will be the out come ;)

as u guys know there is apepper calle fals alarm( sweet jalapeno) now i never tired to plant any hybrid pepper allw hat i been grpwing is heirloom or the original .

so will the outcom be always same and the taste the shape the size ...ect .

or it will be deffirant every time we try ....

tell me what you think and if u have info about personal experince i would like to hear it

thnx

nipotastro

hi,

hybrids (f1) natural born, according to mendel laws, may generate 25% plants like "mom", 25% like "pa", and the rest in the middle between pa and ma...

in the next generations, using self pollinations, you should keep seeds only from plants that respect your standards.

this should be made for some generations( i think more than 4) and then you'll stabilize the hybrid, create a new type of plant.

my experience (very little) says that are dominant signs that could appears in the next generations... so if you choose in your standard a dominant type, you could not to do all this; naturally the next generations wil be like the older.

what are dominant types? well, the red color of pods is one i've seen.... but i'm not so experienced...

this year i sown the wrong seeds (i would like to have naga morich plants, but they were annuum seeds) and the results are:

1 plant with purple flowers and black unripen pods

3 plants with purple border on white flowers and green unripen pods (one with more dark leaves than others)

2 plants "regular", white flowers and green pods

all plants have the same shape;

as soon as i can, i'll take a shot

PepperLover

intresting your info is very usefull and the new plants that comming up are intresting too i have some isolated naga morich seeds if you like me to send you some i would be happy to do that or any other seeds from my list

nipotastro
intresting your info is very usefull and the new plants that comming up are intresting too i have some isolated naga morich seeds if you like me to send you some i would be happy to do that or any other seeds from my list

thanks pepperlove, but this year i'm growin to much plants... next season, maybe.....

today i've taken some shot, hope i can post them in the evening or tomorrow