Pepper Guru

Guru's Garden - 2020

gianni48
On 7/10/2020 at 10:23 PM, Pepper Guru said:

Un po 'di un disastro quella mattina nella fattoria dei peperoni....

Ottimo lavoro e ottimo time-lapse.

• Like 1

Pepper Guru

Purple Thunder BJ-h Mystery

50185331786_4f302a563d_b.jpg

50184787103_3d3a2e03d7_b.jpg

50185331736_b8a4a276c4_b.jpg

50185586327_b07703d68e_b.jpg

50185584822_29d8e39e4c_b.jpg

Black Naga x Peri Peri

50184750653_1b39fe9960_b.jpg

50185549182_6f42e02b78_b.jpg

• Like 10

Pepper Guru

Jay's Purple x C chinense by Chris Phillips

50226398896_86b87e901e_b.jpg

50226397896_0062733034_b.jpg

50226397391_bff90bb52a_b.jpg

50226621922_111e30d332_b.jpg

50226622522_0375a6df0d_b.jpg

50225757298_79eacfca45_b.jpg

• Like 9

Pepper Guru

Some more of my favorites so far this season. 

The real wiri wiri from Guyana. Not "ma wiri wiri" 

Grateful for the opportunity to grow these this season. 

50240933838_6f6f8b37b8_b.jpg

50241789512_a5f77ffd76_b.jpg

50241788722_5d65bf4ed7_b.jpg

and then some Binquinho/Chupetinho White...i believe from a well know Italian breeder. 

50241780007_d4131508e9_b.jpg

50241565826_8eab2f0aea_b.jpg

50241778242_b0ebe3eed2_b.jpg

Finally, a non capsicum favorite of mine. 

Dionaea muscipula "Venus Fly Trap"

Native to the coastal marshlands of the south east United States of America, this one has enjoy a bowl of water near the compost bucket catching flies. 

50234241073_a05e358a75_b.jpg

• Like 9

Pepper Guru

What species do you think this is?

50291036891_387e0eddcb_b.jpg

gianni48

C. baccatum?

• Like 1

Pepper Guru
1 minute ago, gianni48 said:

C. baccatum?

I certainly hope so. That's what I think too. 

Pepper Guru

Fatalii is back! 

202 gallons for each plant. 

Real Fatalii on the left and SSE 'fatalii' on the right. 

50315897793_9a5779102d_b.jpg

• Like 11

Vincer

Great!!!

Ciao

Vincenzo

• Like 1

Pepper Guru
Just now, Vincer said:

Great!!!

Ciao

Vincenzo

Thanks! I sent these seeds off to a friend back in 2005 with really good seed storing methods. He was able to send them back in the same exact packet I sent originally. Germinated these on Feb 14 2020 :) 

Alexrm

:hyper: those are giants

• Like 1

Pepper Guru
58 minutes ago, Alexrm said:

:hyper: those are giants

Two more months of good growing season left as well! 

• Like 1

Pepper Guru

TripPaul Threat Yellow

50331529838_fc363b5835_b.jpg

50332211321_96de6f3c8e_b.jpg

50331529618_ba9a225a2b_b.jpg

50331529543_84e8fda966_b.jpg

• Like 8

Pepper Guru

A nice variegated mutant hybrid 

[Blue Christmas x HPV] x [Uchu x CM] 

50457288187_4e0262dac5_b.jpg

"Eye Candy"

50456426218_352d52f0dd_b.jpg

50457138556_d1e2aa796a_b.jpg

• Like 6

Pepper Guru

Binquinho Pink

Some selections still needing to be teased out, but this generation was quite close! 

50520663876_ff1b908630_b.jpg

50520842362_3fa87c150e_b.jpg

50519941753_6243151e40_b.jpg

50519941613_a077f61beb_b.jpg

50519940748_78807fa00a_b.jpg

• Like 4

Pepper Guru

I have harvested 11 kilos off of each one of these Fatalii plants so far this season. 

Seed sowed Feb 14th 2020. 

50582275311_29fc21959c_b.jpg

• Like 8

Alexrm

:hyper: 

• Like 1

Batigolle

Wonderful !👏 

• Like 1

gianni48

Bellissime piante, complimenti!!!  :clapping:

• Like 1

Alexrm
1 hour ago, Alexrm said:

ehi guru, i've some questions for you.

You're plants are amazing, i think I'd never seen something like that Fatalii :wub:

What pots (in italian "vasi", i don't know if in english it'is ok) do you use? 

methods of fertilization?

sun exposur? full? what average temperatures do you have?

Just asking you, cuz there's a lot to learn from you're growing skills ;) 

Regards,

Alex :) 

• Like 2

L0rdn40
6 hours ago, Pepper Guru said:

I have harvested 11 kilos off of each one of these Fatalii plants

Correction: This is NOT a fatalii plant but a fatalii TREE. :D;) Congratulations for all!

• Like 2

Pepper Guru
9 hours ago, Alexrm said:

ehi guru, i've some questions for you.

You're plants are amazing, i think I'dnever seen something like that Fatalii :wub:

What pots (in italian "vasi", i don't know if in english it'is ok) do you use?

methods of fertilization?

sun exposur? full? what average temperatures do you have?

Just asking you, cuz there's a lot to learn from you're growing skills;)

Regards,

Alex :)

Thank you for the compliments everyone. I really love Fatalii, it’s my all time favorite pepper to eat.

Alex,

When I’m growing in containers and not unground , I prefer air/root pruning fabric containers. This creates a massive, fibrous, and heavily branched root system rather than what plastic produces, which is root circling and symptoms similar to being root bound. The textile fabric used in root pruning containers is meant to allow the very tips of the roots grow through and be pruned by the air drying the out. Most of my containers are between 15 gallon and 65 gallon. I planted these two Fatalii in their very own 202 gallon compost bag (tarp or silt fence like material) for a growdown competition on another forum. I thought it would be hilarious to just plant these two directly into those 202 gallon ( 1 cubic yard/ton of soil) and it paid off big time. 11 kilos per plant so far and only 9 months old at this point.

Now for the really important stuff....

SOIL

Over the last 20 years I’ve spent my time studying soil biology and building true, living soils. Soils that do the work for you. Soils that are full of bugs, microbes, nutrients, fungi, bacteria. Not soiless mediums like peat or coir, but REAL soil. The same that the forestmakes.

For many years I labored constantly turning greens into browns, pyramid piles as tall as my own height. Cooking them. Rapidly breaking them down, adding carbohydrates and compost lechates as my own type of starter (think pitching yeast to an ale brew)

Eventually, without my own heavy machinery,and with my grow getting bigger each year, my demand for good living soil grew much bigger than my ability to produce it myself for free. So, for years I began bartering with local tree companies to drop off their mulch and already decomposed material to my property. Usually trading peppers and sauce for compost. Now I’ve also found local compost operations that are actually very good at what they do, and only after using them in my landscaping business, did I decide it was good enough for my peppers, hahaha ??

My soil mix changes every single year, mainly due to compost inputs. I amend with the well known aerators like perlite/vermiculite/volcanic puffed clay etc. I enjoy nutrient amendments like chicken manure, bat guano, alpaca manure, meals of alfalfa, bone, blood, kelp etc

Now the fun part. Fertigation!

I have my entire drip irrigation system hooked up to my venturi tanks.Every single time I irrigate, I’m injecting different inputs. My all time favorite liquid input is homemade fish hydrolysate. Not to be confused with emulsion which is completely inferior in every way. Hydrolysate is cold processed, open air fermentation of fish scraps, bones, scales, everything. A month or two of fermentation will result in the best thing you could ever use as your “fertilizer” Fish hydrolysate is the most superior soil additive. I also make knf inputs like LABS, fpj, etc and have a “no rules fpj” that I make at home which is mainly organic kitchen scraps from the entire year, fermented into a soil drench lechate that not only feeds the soil, but can certain remedy pest issues.

you can see that process here my video:

Video su YouTube: jaa4e-EIvlQ

We can strain these liquids and run them through the entire system, as well as apply directly to the soil by hand when individual plants show they could use more.

Basically, I’m a mad scientist with only anecdote to offer. I decided long ago not to concern myself with looking into what immaking with a microscope and only to observe the results and the plants reactions. This has done well for me and I’ll never look back to the old way...

Feed the Soil ??

47287E32-0A8D-4B85-B5B4-A066E97CFA2D.jpeg.87bdc8e25c0891822d4ba5fc428fc8e5.jpeg

• Like 6

Alexrm

Thank you for the compliments everyone. I really love Fatalii, it’s my all time favorite pepper to eat.

Alex,

When I’m growing in containers and not unground , I prefer air/root pruning fabric containers. This creates a massive, fibrous, and heavily branched root system rather than what plastic produces, which is root circling and symptoms similar to being root bound. The textile fabric used in root pruning containers is meant to allow the very tips of the roots grow through and be pruned by the air drying the out. Most of my containers are between 15 gallon and 65 gallon. I planted these two Fatalii in their very own 202 gallon compost bag (tarp or silt fence like material) for a growdown competition on another forum. I thought it would be hilarious to just plant these two directly into those 202 gallon ( 1 cubic yard/ton of soil) and it paid off big time. 11 kilos per plant so far and only 9 months old at this point.

202 gallons? MAAAD!! :hyper:

Now for the really important stuff....

SOIL

Over the last 20 years I’ve spent my time studying soil biology and building true, living soils. Soils that do the work for you. Soils that are full of bugs, microbes, nutrients, fungi, bacteria. Not soiless mediums like peat or coir, but REAL soil. The same that the forestmakes.

For many years I labored constantly turning greens into browns, pyramid piles as tall as my own height. Cooking them. Rapidly breaking them down, adding carbohydrates and compost lechates as my own type of starter (think pitching yeast to an ale brew)

Eventually, without my own heavy machinery,and with my grow getting bigger each year, my demand for good living soil grew much bigger than my ability to produce it myself for free. So, for years I began bartering with local tree companies to drop off their mulch and already decomposed material to my property. Usually trading peppers and sauce for compost. Now I’ve also found local compost operations that are actually very good at what they do, and only after using them in my landscaping business, did I decide it was good enough for my peppers, hahaha ??

My soil mix changes every single year, mainly due to compost inputs. I amend with the well known aerators like perlite/vermiculite/volcanic puffed clay etc. I enjoy nutrient amendments like chicken manure, bat guano, alpaca manure, meals of alfalfa, bone, blood, kelp etc

WOWOOW!!! So freakin' interesting!!! My face when I was reading was enchanted.

20 years of studying to be so competent and to have these results ... congratulations!!!I should start studying this ... Wow.

Now the fun part. Fertigation!

I have my entire drip irrigation system hooked up to my venturi tanks.Every single time I irrigate, I’m injecting different inputs. My all time favorite liquid input is homemade fish hydrolysate. Not to be confused with emulsion which is completely inferior in every way. Hydrolysate is cold processed, open air fermentation of fish scraps, bones, scales, everything. A month or two of fermentation will result in the best thing you could ever use as your “fertilizer” Fish hydrolysate is the most superior soil additive. I also make knf inputs like LABS, fpj, etc and have a “no rules fpj” that I make at home which is mainly organic kitchen scraps from the entire year, fermented into a soil drench lechate that not only feeds the soil, but can certain remedy pest issues.

you can see that process here my video:

Video su YouTube: jaa4e-EIvlQ

We can strain these liquids and run them through the entire system, as well as apply directly to the soil by hand when individual plants show they could use more.

Cool! Never heard about this!

Basically, I’m a mad scientist with only anecdote to offer. I decided long ago not to concern myself with looking into what immaking with a microscope and only to observe the results and the plants reactions. This has done well for me and I’ll never look back to the old way...

You're right. Mad scientist,with a lot of experience. I'm so glad a thankful that you shared this :)you've just given me lots of ideas of improvment.

Sothanks, guru :)

Feed the Soil ??

47287E32-0A8D-4B85-B5B4-A066E97CFA2D.jpeg.87bdc8e25c0891822d4ba5fc428fc8e5.jpeg

in Rome, we have a popoular expression that we use when someone is doing something you'd like to do. <<Theese Fatalii are perfect "e io ce sto rosicando">>:D

(in my opinion "sto rosicando" it is very much a sign of recognition of the skill of others!)

so interesting, congratulations:)

CU

Alex

• Like 1

Pepper Guru

Happy birthday @Lonewolf !! 

• Like 1