Sign in to follow this  
Devabriel

Cardenasii germination

Devabriel

Im gonna try cardenasii for the first time this year. I tryed some in kno3 and tovlepapperbag method on heat (28-30c) not good they all become moldy.

Another two try on a "babywipe sponge" material and pappertowle and gibberlic acid. Non has germinated in the material (2 weeks so still early) but interestingly in both bags I have had germination on seeds that lies free of the substrate, one in the tovle and two in the baby thingy.

I usually get quite good results doing this and the oposite when it comes to seeds that has become free of the substrate as they usually germinate in a less degree.

Is it a fluke or does cardenasii like some light to germinat? Or might there be something else that got the seeds outside a better chance?

My seeds was from a fellow grower and i don't know how old they where but don't think they where from this year and they had been a little bit roughly shipped so could be some problems there to. But even so I find it interesting if it was the "three best" seeds that ended up outside the medium.

My eximium (with gibberlic acid) that I also grow for the first time seems to be doing fine germinating both in papper towle and the baby wipes as well as most everything else capsicum I have tried.

leo72

my c.cardenasii germinated by sowing directly in pot with soil at a temperature of 28-30 degrees, the seeds in germ box with scottex instead did not germinate, I did not have high percentage of germination, the seeds were the previous year

Devabriel

They sure seems on the harder side to get to germinate.

Rapace

Cardenasii germination is of "medium" hardness (to be a wild) according to my experience.

% of germination is quite low.

this year I had gemination of 25% (1 out of 4 seeds)

Germination in 26 days in "Root riot" Cubo in germbox

Temperature: 27-28 Celsius degrees in "daily cycle", 15-17 celsius degrees in night cycle.

I grow it in the past as well (2 or 3 times) and more or less data have been similar (in the past I used scottex methods, same temperature)

I guess that "temperature" shocks will help (put the seeds in environment with 5 celsius degrees for some weeks and then put them in germination).

... of course... the set of seeds (how old they are, how they have been stored... etc.etc.) can influence dramatically ..... what above is just to share my experience and some ideas.

Devabriel

How do you classify it and the the other wilds in hardness to germinate?

Well I atleast seems to be getting some plants so hopefully will be able to get new fresh seeds for the future.

Rapace
3 hours ago, Devabriel said:

How do you classify it and the the other wilds in hardness to germinate?

According to my experience.

Capsicum annuum var glabriusculum 

Capsicum baccatum var baccatum

..... Are "easy" to germinate, it means that % of germination is above 50% and the time to germinate is 15 days or less

Capsicum pratermissum 

Capsicum eximium

....are less "easy" but still quite "easy" to germinate, % of germination is less than 50% sometimes and time to germinate can be sometimes more than 15 days but not significantly far from that

Capsicum cardenasii

Rocopicas

... I consider it "medium" difficulty..... % of germination is less than 50% and timing is more than 15 days (usually), but usually around 30 days (or something less).

Capsicum flexuosum

Capsicum tovarii

.... are more difficult to germinate.... % of germination is very low (in some cases I wasn't able to make them germinate using tenth of seeds) and the timing is sometimes far above 30 days.

I don't have experience with other wild species.

BUT...... don't take my experience as "a dogma".... these are just my observation on the field..... as I said the "quality" of seed's set can be fundamental .... and with "quality" I mean:

1. Genetic of the "parents" 

2. How seeds have been "preserved" (temperature, humidity....)

3. How old are the seeds

4. Variety ..... different varieties of the same specie can be easier than other.

Moreover.... how i use Germbox can influence.... I usually don't use "temperature shocks" ....while sometimes can be very useful for wild seeds.... I keep germbox at around 27-28 digrees during daily cycle and 15-17 during night cycle..... some other pepperfriends don't use these alternate cycles....

It would be interesting to know experiences by some other Pepperfriends........ I cultivate some wilds every year but I'm not the biggest expert here :)

• Like 1

Devabriel

I heard a couple of different thoughts on what's hardest to grow so I'm always interested to hear different opinions on the subject.

I'm to junior on the subject to even have an opinion. I have only grown wilds the present year and it did splendid and wasn't hard. Probably beginners luck me thinks so don't wanna base anything on it ;).

I have a constant temp on mine... mabe should try to change this and see if it get different results.

I do love the wilds as is probably apparent. Next year I fear will be mostly wilds, some rocoto and not much else.FB_IMG_1570516286123.jpg.12187d608ee41504888107e6da6cfd1d.jpg

The two hobbies are hard to merge sometimes, and frankly in my experience it's easier to get seeds you want then to grow them.

• Like 1