Devabriel

2020 gonna be a wild one

Devabriel

The growing season of 2020 has started here in sweden with the wild ones started and pubescens.

The species that I'm gonna grow are

Exile

Chacoense 

Flexousum

Galapogoense 

Lancealatum

Rhomboidium

Praetermissu

and some wild and semi wilds of annuum, baccatum, chinense and frutescens.

For the first time I'm gonna try to grow

Eximium

Cardenasii 

Tovarii

and pubescens

What I'm gonna try to grow 2021 when I'm looking for something new to grow will be the tricky bit I'm starting to understand ;).

• Like 3

Vincer

Have a nice growing season!!!

Ciao

Vincenzo

leo72

good cultivation 🌶️

Devabriel

Not a chili but close relative and quite proud to be growing. As my handwriting is as it is I might be better of saying it's a lycianthes moziniana.

20191028_161642.jpg

Devabriel

My planting wall. Quite a mess at the moment but gonna be better in a day or two, if my daughter allows me some privacy (1 year old that loves here daddy a little bit to much)

20191029_131818.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Devabriel

My firs interspecific hybrid attempt, it's  a cross between annuum X chinense (prik leung x rocotillo).

Really I only made it as a learning to see if I could do it, mor than have any specific goals.

It went quite well, got lots of seeds and they grow quite well this year. But then the problems begun.

Werry late flowering, to the point I didn't think I  was getting any flowers on any plant. Later than anything else capsicum. And most flowers just fell of the plants. But hey som stuck on and become fruits.

Sorry to say there where no seeds at all in the fruits I have looked in (three) and I have about the same still growing on one plant, so still hopping.

Taste.. well I took a bite, and it's hard to describe, but the most horrible taste I have felt on a pepper.

So as a learning experience this have some good points for me, interspecific hybridisation isn't necessarily easy and just because you get seeds doesn't mean they will be fruit bearing plants with seeds of them own. And just because you like the taste of the parents you might not like the taste of the offspring.

As it is my first attempt I'm still going to work on it. If I don't get seeds I'm gonna try using pollen from it and see where that leads. But I also gonna try a couple of more hybrids next year.

20190918_175418.jpg

• Like 5

Devabriel

Harvesting praetermissum pi 441654 and rhomboidium and probably some of the tepins to, if my back allowed it. Harvesting in the garage and looking out over a frost covered yard. The living of a northern chiligrower.

Wild chilies are really a nice hobby and I do love them wild bunch and sure I got loads of fruits this year.. but from three Rhomboidium I got about a deciliter of fruits, my first year growing so hopefully will be more next year.

The praetermissum will be more like three or four deciliters is my guess so probably something to work with. Mabe preserve in vinegar, will see.

20191103_140034.jpg

• Like 1

Devabriel

My flexuosum (no beauty at the moment) are quite interesting as is my lanceolatum and galapogoense for that matter. They have all set loads of flowers and starting to set fruits after they where set indoors. The flexuosum sure gave loads of flowers in the summer but not many fruits, but inside it seems to be another matter.

20191103_141839.jpg

• Like 1

Devabriel

My lanceolatum was nice looking in spring and had three fruits when I took it outside, then it  stopped, no more flowers or obviously fruits bad on my part as it got burnet but even after it didn't like t set flowers. Good green leaves but no flowers. And now it comes on again.. in my garage under suboptimal conditions.

The galapogoense does the same, but not only flowers and set fruits actually looks quite nice at that!

I'm impressed with myself actually as it's my first year growing wild peppers and all my wild ones are from seeds grown 2019.

20191103_143124.jpg

Devabriel

And when I'm telling that I can look out on a frostcovered yard I might be exaggerating. There is hard to see the windows in my garage let alone see anything on the other side. And garage often means you can have a car in it... I can barely tolerate my lawnmower to take up valuable space.

I said to my wife that this year I wasn't gonna try to overwinter anything.. then well some of the wild ones as they might need a year or two for fruiting.. then well some domesticated ones two as they survived so many winters already... hey I let at least five plants outside to die this winter! I'm happy my wife does like that I have a hobby. At least a hobby that makes it less likely I will stray as who in the right mind would risk straying and get a kick, for where would al my plants go?!  ;)

20191103_143831.jpg

Devabriel

I was out of ziplock bags for my seeds so when in town I thought it a good opportunity to buy some.

Whent in to a store, couldn't find it so asked the manager. He looked me up and down and said "I'm sorry we don't sell that anymore, it's a work hazard"

I'm probably looked a little bit perplexed so he added 

"It draws a certain kind of clientele that scares the staff".

Well I found new bags on Ebay instead, quite cute with according to the seller has maple leafs on it.

What kind of clientele do you think was the problem and what do they do with small ziplock bags?😉

20191108_093044.jpg

• Haha 2

Devabriel
Just now, Devabriel said:

I was out of ziplock bags for my seeds so when in town I thought it a good opportunity to buy some.

Whent in to a store, couldn't find it so asked the manager. He looked me up and down and said "I'm sorry we don't sell that anymore, it's a work hazard"

I'm probably looked a little bit perplexed so he added 

"It draws a certain kind of clientele that scares the staff". 

Well I found new bags on Ebay instead, quite cute ones that according to the seller has maple leafs on it. Probably chinese maple as I doesn't looks like mine at home...

What kind of clientele do you think was the problem and what do they do with such small ziplock bags?😉

20191108_093044.jpg

Devabriel

For fun I'm in pepperlovers contest #winterpepperinacan2019 #winteriscanning2019 

Can't say it's a good way to grow peppers, but that's not the point I guess.

Apart from som aphids (that are being dealt with☠)it has started to sprout flowers.

Probably one of the earliest flowering I have had.. I guess bad growing conditions do has some advantages.

20191109_150024.jpg

• Like 1

Devabriel

The rocotos are coming along nicely.

20191125_095205.jpg

• Like 3

Devabriel

Eighteen more seedlings to go... starting to think I have an addiction. Well there is worse thing to be addicted to than growing chilies.

20191125_183232.jpg

• Like 3

Devabriel

A work in progress so not entirely finished, and might have some faults but what I'm doing besides looking on seedlings growing.

FB_IMG_1575768840903.jpg

FB_IMG_1575768834854.jpg

• Thanks 1

Devabriel

FB_IMG_1575770239717.jpg

• Thanks 2

Devabriel

Not a capsicum for sure, but what I'm seems best to be growing 🤣.

Even under bad conditions they flower and give fruits. Damned weed to tell the truth.

Next year I'm gonna grow about 10 species of physalis, so I figure that I will end up with many strange voluntary plants in everything I grow. Even more than I get at the moment.20191210_140939.jpg.2a9d97e72838f543fc384e3fe32a56a2.jpg

This is my precious cardenasii. I did take good care of it when it struggled... yeah right somewhat strange leaves for a capsicum? 🙄

You would think I'm great growing tomatoes but no I'm not. Well I get tomatoe seedlings to grow.. but really not all is looking like it's the correct type, and sometimes it's a physalis 😉

20191209_162313.jpg

Devabriel

Why is it that every year you end up with less pots than you need and not the growing material you want! I bet it must be some magic law like Murphy's law that makes this a reality.

• Haha 1

Devabriel

My biggest Tovarii at the moment 🥰

20191219_122306.jpg

• Like 6

Devabriel

To all my pepperfriend!

IMG_20191223_213834.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rapace
On 12/8/2019 at 2:58 AM, Devabriel said:
  1. FB_IMG_1575770239717.jpg

Some time ago I collected information from different sources about crossability and prepared a table similar to your one.

Looking at your table there are some data which are quite surprising for me.....

I don't consider Embryo culture because it's something "practically very difficult to be managed" by an "amateur", so just "normal pollination cases" (including pollination "helped" by us putting the "right" pollen on the "right" flower to get the cross we wish).

Given what above my remarks:

1. Capsicum pubescens, C.eximium, C.cardenasii can cross among them and have "normally" F1, F2, Fn viable seeds. But I never saw or read or heard about cross with any other Capsicum species. 

Tipically, among the domesticated species, C.pubescens is considered as not crossable (naturally) with any other domesticated specie.

Do you have something to be read reporting information about crossability you reported in the table ?

2. Capsicum baccatum (var baccatum, var pendulum, var umbilicatum) and C.praetermissum

According to my information crosses among those species are "easy"

Far more difficult to have crosses with C.annuum, C.frutescens, C.chinense

I don't think possible cross these species with species specified in 1.......

Anyway in my opinion there are still many things to be understood about crossability, results reported are not fully clear and sometimes not coherent between different sources.

I'm really curious to see some picture of some crosses of C.tovarii with C.eximium (if they really exists).......

In any case.... if there is the opportunity..... why not to try some of those crosses and see what happen :) ?

• Like 1

Devabriel

Well I sampled what sources I could find.. some where contradictory and some gave quite different answers. As able to cross didn't always mean that the offspring would be fertile and so on. And I agree embryo culture means more or less don't work when it comes to is normal growers. Or at the best makes it a really unlikely cross to succeed with without a laboratory on your hands.

At the moment I can't give a clear answer to where I found a papper that stated that anything in the pubescens clad could make hybrids with anything outside its clad.. but I know there where sources, some in I have given in the picture but after Christmas I will absolutely give them to you.

When it comes to the baccatum umbilicatum and so on there really was where few sources, I guess that you could make the argument it probably works as good/bad as c. baccatum but I rather wright not work/unknown than guess.

With this said, I have some sources in the bottom of the picture, I only used scientific sources.. but alas I can't say for certain that it's correct or that I have seen any pictures.

I now from many sources claims that you can make hybrids with flexuosum fir instance and make it a bridge between the 24 and 26 chromosome species.. but I haven't seen any doing a successful cross either with a 24 or a 26.. which is quite important.

I sure am gonna give some of the hybrids I have seen claimed to be possible a go and even some claimed not confirmed to work. 

As I understand based on the sources I have seen it should be possible to make crosses between annuum and pubescens with enough bridge species. BUT that is theoretically, probably will end up being problems on the way and if possible, if, it probably needs many crosses with many same bridges before it is possible to cross with a new bridge.

Last but not least it's me doing this so I wouldn't want to claim that no wrong claim can have snuck in.

The sources: successful wide hybridisation and introgression(2016). Phylogenetic relationships of capsicum (2001) genetic reresourses of capsicum (1983)

A picture from one of the sources (Phylogenetic relationships of capsicum (2001) )

Screenshot_20191224-101205_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

• Like 1

Devabriel

The sources in the picture 

Source: successful wide hybridisation and introgression(2016). Phylogenetic relationships of capsicum (2001) genetic reresourses of capsicum (1983)