Sign in to follow this  
cmpman1974

Wild Baccatum - 'Fragilis'

cmpman1974

Claudio asked me to post some information about this plant.  This is a very unique C. baccatum that was a one-off plant grown from seeds from Jukka in Finland.  It got the nickname 'fragilis' as the leaves are extremely brittle and leaves/branches can break by barely touching the plant. Note the flowers are some of the smallest I've ever seen on a capsicum. 

It grows unusually slow at first and is quite unique in appearance.  I am waiting on fruits to ripen.  This has been the first time I had success with it.  I started very early (mid-2018) to be able to get a plant that could produce pods for the 2019 season.

I find everything about this variety intriguing.  Not many have grown it based on my knowledge. 

Capsicum fragilis.jpg

Fragilis.jpg

• Like 9

Lonewolf

Interesting.

I think that this kind of leaves is caused by a mutation.

I saw something similar in Gabor's mutants collection.

• Like 4

cmpman1974

Claudio, how many forms of 'mutants' did you see?  It makes you wonder how many genetic things can occur.  :)     It definitely is a very interesting plant. It seems to get a little sturdier as time goes on.

Chris

Lonewolf
14 hours ago, cmpman1974 said:

Claudio, how many forms of 'mutants' did you see?

The collection of Gabor that I saw in Hungary had about 300 different kind of mutations.

• Like 1

Devabriel

Interesting looking plant!

• Like 1

Devabriel
On 9/28/2019 at 2:41 PM, Lonewolf said:

The collection of Gabor that I saw in Hungary had about 300 different kind of mutations.

What is this collection? Does it have any site one could look it up as it sounds fascinating!

Lonewolf

No website, it's a collection of live plants (in three different greenhouses).

It's in Hungary, near Szentes, South-East of Kecskemét.

You can find presentations and articles about it searching online for "Gabor Csillery mutants".

For example here:

https://conference.ifas.ufl.edu/Pepper2012/Presentations/1 Sesson one/am/0955 Gabor CSILLERY.pdf

Lonewolf

Also, here a discussion about another kind of mutation which I saw in Gabor's collection, the "filiform":

https://www.pepperfriends.com/forum/topic/15309-pimento-del-sahara/?tab=comments#comment-451134

It's interesting because this mutation is well know among the keen on Capsicum, even if with other (wrong) explanations ...

• Thanks 1

Devabriel
On 11/9/2019 at 2:38 PM, Lonewolf said:

No website, it's a collection of live plants (in three different greenhouses).

It's in Hungary, near Szentes, South-East of Kecskemét.

You can find presentations and articles about it searching online for "Gabor Csillery mutants".

For example here:

https://conference.ifas.ufl.edu/Pepper2012/Presentations/1 Sesson one/am/0955 Gabor CSILLERY.pdf

Thank you I'll do that👍

Pr0digal_son

Here is information on this mutation. I am working on an entry for our database also. 

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Characterization-of-the-brassinolide-sensitive-tomato-bst-mutant-a-Shoot-apex-derived_fig2_332431954

2020-07-25_06-58-52.jpg

• Like 4

Lonewolf

:thumbsup: