Pepper Guru

Guru's Garden - Traveling the World in Search of Peppers

Pepper Guru

Current status: 

47892425761_72d8074edc_b.jpg

47892424711_03489b1366_b.jpg

47840493162_57edea6a77_b.jpg

47968830861_58f47d175f_b.jpg

108 Different Varieties this year and counting. Trying to freshen up the seed vault. 

Plant out occurred last weekend so all the containers now have plants in them. Caging will go up tomorrow on each container, it will serve as a support for the plants and support for isolation netting. 

Planning another trip once everything is growing well and on auto pilot enough for me to escape for a couple of weeks. 

Will keep this updated. 

• Like 10

Vincer

Have a nice growing season!!!

Ciao

Vincenzo

• Like 1

Alexrm

Good stuff!!!! Congratulations!

Have a nice growing season :)

• Like 1

Rapace

Have a great growing season !

.... do you have a list of varieties you are cultivating this year ?

• Like 1

Lonewolf

Wow

• Like 1

RocotoD

Good growing season! Peppers from U.S.A., beautiful!

It's 2019 or 2017 year? :lol2:

Goodbye!

• Like 1

Pepper Guru
3 hours ago, Rapace said:

Have a great growing season !

.... do you have a list of varieties you are cultivating this year ?

Yes! My wife helped me get all my excel sheets in order. I'll post it when its final! 

27 minutes ago, RocotoD said:

Good growing season! Peppers from U.S.A., beautiful!

It's 2019 or 2017 year? :lol2:

Goodbye!

I know I know! I accidentally posted this in the 2017 section! hahaha Maybe a mod can move it for me? 

Lonewolf
47 minutes ago, Pepper Guru said:

Maybe a mod can move it for me? 

Done

• Like 1

ninuzz 69

Have a great growing season :)

• Like 1

L0rdn40
On 6/1/2019 at 6:45 AM, Pepper Guru said:

Current status: 

47892425761_72d8074edc_b.jpg

47892424711_03489b1366_b.jpg

47840493162_57edea6a77_b.jpg

47968830861_58f47d175f_b.jpg

108 Different Varieties this year and counting. Trying to freshen up the seed vault. 

Plant out occurred last weekend so all the containers now have plants in them. Caging will go up tomorrow on each container, it will serve as a support for the plants and support for isolation netting. 

Planning another trip once everything is growing well and on auto pilot enough for me to escape for a couple of weeks. 

Will keep this updated. 

OMG! Wow man, this is a dream for most forum’s users, including me! Congratulations and have a nice growing season!

• Like 2

Pepper Guru

Got everything planted out and caged up June 4th. Getting some decent early growth so far. 

This is today:

48099383901_def712502a_b.jpg

• Like 10

Lonewolf

Wow!

What is the purpose of the cages?
Are there large animals that can damage plants?
Or will you cover them with non-woven fabric to isolate them from pollinators?
Or support against the wind?

• Like 1

Vincer
On 6/20/2019 at 9:28 PM, Pepper Guru said:

Got everything planted out and caged up June 4th. Getting some decent early growth so far. 

This is today:

48099383901_def712502a_b.jpg

Great job!!!

Ciao

Vincenzo

• Like 1

Pepper Guru
15 hours ago, Lonewolf said:

Wow!

What is the purpose of the cages?
Are there large animals that can damage plants?
Or will you cover them with non-woven fabric to isolate them from pollinators?
Or support against the wind?

All the above! I originally started utilizing cages for support. After planting out, about a month or two into the growing season, the plants are always so big and loaded down that branches start snapping off...so this allows the branches to grow through and lean on the cage, providing many support points for them to rest on. It also keeps the deer from topping them...I don't prune...ever. I used to do all the pruning and training methods about 15 years ago, but have since learned that none of it increases yield despite what many growers have deluded themselves into believing. 

The cages will also provide the support for the isolation nets. However, I know the plants will consume the entire cage, so there will be that bridge to cross when I get there in about a month. Im thinking maybe I will install posts and a high wire system above each row, then suspend the net hoops above each plant. 

• Like 5

Lonewolf

Thanks!

• Like 2

nipotastro

At least, we haven t deers problem

:D

• Like 1

Lonewolf
46 minutes ago, nipotastro said:

At least, we haven t deers problem

:D

In qualche zona hanno anche di peggio: cinghiali :rolleyes:

Pepper Guru

A few shots from this morning:

Some interesting fasciation on my PdNxBMJ F8 Violet

48114932643_83153cd41f_b.jpg

PdNxBMJ F8 White *Bhuter

48114988082_40bd738933_b.jpg

48114932503_00060ce662_b.jpg

Lemon StarBurst

48114932568_6603966114_b.jpg

Capsicum Chacoense

48114932728_34b85bf0d8_b.jpg

CGN 23208

48114932708_e851fca0a7_b.jpg

• Like 10

L0rdn40
On 6/22/2019 at 5:41 PM, Pepper Guru said:

I don't prune...ever. I used to do all the pruning and training methods about 15 years ago, but have since learned that none of it increases yield despite what many growers have deluded themselves into believing.

Hi, i'm curious, in your experience pruning the peppers nothing changes or slow down plant growth and production? Thanks

• Like 1

nipotastro
22 hours ago, Lonewolf said:

In qualche zona hanno anche di peggio: cinghiali :rolleyes:

Da noi e' pieno, ma non mangiano pomodori o peppers, al limite arano

(Al contrario sono ghiotti di uva , mais e di qualsiasi tubero)

Pepper Guru
6 hours ago, L0rdn40 said:

Hi, i'm curious, in your experience pruning the peppers nothing changes or slow down plant growth and production? Thanks

For the last 20 years I've done every pruning method, topping, fimming, stripping, you name it. I've done every single training method there is, low stress, super cropping, SOG, SCROG etc etc etc. With capsicum the TRUTH of the matter is this...

None of it will increase yields. Period. Ever. If it did...I would still be doing it.

You will never gain node sites, flower sites, flowers, fruits etc by taking them away. Despite what growers have deluded themselves into believing.

Simpletruth is that pruning capsicum is a temporary novelty while indoors for growers that do not have enough of the following things: ADEQUATE LIGHT, QUALITY SOIL and SPACE. Sure, pruned plants can look pretty while indoors and doing novel things like Bonsai (very beautiful) but we do Bonsai because its Bonsai, not because the yields are incredible. Pruning will temporarily change the canopy and can even appear to have tons of blooms and branches, but it still will not compare to a plant left alone.

The plants know exactly what to do and grow in a perfectly exponential fractal habit.

Once outdoors, all plants (pruned or not) are made equal under the light of our Sun. By removing branches or growth tips, you are simply removing numbers of potential sites for new branches. If yield is what you're after then the only way to maximize it is tons of light, quality living soil, and space to sprawl. The plant will do the rest.

This is only one harvest out of many on aplantthat went on to win the growdowns: No pruning. Average yield on most plants grown in optimal conditions can be anywhere from 6-20 kilos per plant, per season.

Video su YouTube: Dxwo9irRRMo

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Lonewolf

Wow, large plants and great yeld!

I agree, I've never pruned chile peppers plants.

• Like 2

Vincer
2 hours ago, Lonewolf said:

I've never pruned chile peppers plants.

Me too

Ciao

Vincenzo

• Like 1

L0rdn40
6 hours ago, Pepper Guru said:

F?or? the? last 20 years I've done every pruning method, topping, fimming, stripping, you name it. I've done every single training method there is, low stress, super cropping, SOG, SCROG etc etc etc. With capsicum the TRUTH of the matter is this...

?

None of it will increase yields. Period. Ever. If it did...I would still be doing it.

You will never gain node sites, flower sites, flowers, fruits etc by taking them away. Despite what growers have deluded themselves into believing.

Simpletruth is that pruning capsicum is a temporary novelty while indoors for growers that do not have enough of the following things: ADEQUATE LIGHT, QUALITY SOIL and SPACE. Sure, pruned plants can look pretty while indoors and doing novel things like Bonsai (very beautiful) but we do Bonsai because its Bonsai, not because the yields are incredible. Pruning will temporarily change the canopy and can even appear to have tons of blooms and branches, but it still will not ?compare to a plant left alone.

The plants know exactly what to do and grow in a perfectly exponential fractal habit.

Once outdoors, all plants (pruned or not) are made equal under the light of our Sun. By removing branches or growth tips, you are simply removing num?bers of potential sites for new branches. If yield is what you're after then the only way to maximize it is tons of light, quality living soil, and space to sprawl. The plant will do the rest.?

This is only one harvest out of many on aplantthat went on to win the growdowns: No pruning. Average yie?ld ?on most plants grown in optimal conditions can be?? anywhere from 6-20 kilos per plant, per season.??

Video su YouTube: Dxwo9irRRMo

Thank you, your answer is perfect! I askyou thatbecausestrong windruined a lot of my plant’s leaves andIremoved them. I sawthat the plants nowhave manynew branches but the flowering is certainly slowed down. Before cutting ruined leaves (a lot of leaves)I have read many conflicting opinions online but your answer is very complete and logical, soI have clear ideas for the future now..

• Like 1

Pepper Guru

Update time

Containers are taking off. These were seedlings 30 days ago when we planted them. 

48180960961_1f8439af5a_b.jpg

Purple UFO

48181029297_e65de217cf_b.jpg

Jack Patton Rooster Spur

48180961051_4bfed7d06e_b.jpg

Black Pearl

48180960831_24d8a572e8_b.jpg

Cumari Flibu

48180961146_fc40b1aaae_b.jpg

Cumari Pollux

48180961216_22452a03ab_b.jpg

48180961251_f264939bc1_b.jpg