Sign in to follow this  
.:Dam:.

Citygarden in Finlandia

Ciao,

I have forgotten to update my blog and this site too this year but here we go. Plants from previous years are somewhat OK, some new plants too growing. At the moment I dont remember all new plants, Mata Frade and CAP 832 at least. And not so many new plants, this year I was thinking to have "vacation year" from peppers. Starting the season was OK but now I have some problems, aphids mostly.

I tried to link some pictures but I have with me only iPad and its not easy to link.. Maybe if I had TapaTalk it would be easier.. Sorry but I just remembered to update my blog last week and now I am at Italy right now close to Modena and I remember finally to post something in here too. Tomorrow I leave back home and I can finally put some pictures too. Today I am going to Milano and I think I should go to see the STUARD? Is it ok to go there a visit?

• Like 3

OK, at home so time for some pictures.

Lets start with good news, I have seen in local chilishop one kind a rare capsicum, Tovarii

IMG_8895.jpg

Before I saw this plant, I got own, received it from our association secretary but it was not feeling so good anymore and dried up later.

IMG_8698.jpg

I still have this but it is not green anymore. Maybe it is still alive, most likely not. But, I will not give up with this one so easily.

IMG_8896.jpg

From that very same chilishop I got cuttings from that plant

More pictures, not so exciting pictures from this on.

IMG_8720.jpg

New plants. Theme this year was plant seeds that I have only few left. Most of those did not sprout at all. So not so good news after all :no: But, new plants anyway.

DSCF0717.jpg

How these same plants are doing now, a bit small surely but its ok. New plants are following, not in order as in picture;

Ulupica Large, cotyledons after 30 days

CAP 832, in first 2 cotyledons after 17 days, one 25 days

Mata Frade, cotyledons 15 days

CGN 16973, cotyledons 15 days

CAP 1141, cotyledons 4 days

CAP 1144, cotyledons 31 days

Gumdrop, cotyledons 14 days, 18 days and 38 days.

OK, that was good news, news and now are following the bad news.

Aphids. Afidi. A lot. Why? I got good offer, 1.4 meter galapagoense plant in pubescens seeds exchange. Why not to take that change, its too good to be true. And its boring if everything goes as planned, its nice to have challenges? But somewhere goes the line in my tolerance. Poisons, no, I do not want to use and its too hard and dangerous for me. So about only option was to buy platoon of soldiers

IMG_8942.jpg

Predatore di afidi. 500 afidi eating predators, each can eat about from 300 up to 600 aphids during these life cycle. Then they make a cocoon and after popping up there they starts to fly. I put some of these (half a bottle) on leaves and gave rest of bottle to friend. Maybe I gave all living ones to my friend and my self dropped only cores because I have not seen any and now there is more aphids. Nice :acute: But hey, I have galapagoense and my own seeds did not sprout so not so bad after all? Person who gave me that gala, said that he had some problems before with these aphids but have not seen those in 6 weeks. When I got it home, I washed it and kept 2 weeks in shower room. I did not see any aphids. They I put it in kitchen, no problems in 6-7 weeks at all. But then suddenly, I saw something what I have not seen before. Actually it was in news that there was coming a cloud of aphids towards here, they could see these in weather radar so that means there was a lot of these, too much. So I do not feel so bad now :cray:

ATTENZIONE!!!

Proceed with caution, with own risk. Violent, fierce pictures are following.

DSCF0696.jpg

Gently start from far, picture taken towards light

DSCF0694.jpg

I installed videocamera to one vase, I wanted to take timelapse video about what happens when plant is dry and I give some water to it, how fast is gets back to normal. Normally camera does not look like this, this is what aphids has dropped over it. Maybe I can wash it off, maybe I need to burn it.

DSCF0695.jpg

More aphids in PI593618 stem. This is from two weeks ago.

IMG_8898.jpg

Different plant and also two weeks ago. I have taken some new pictures with my phone but have not updated my blog yet. Maybe tomorrow I have time to do that. And take pictures with camera about plants. And yes, I went to STUARD, I took few pictures there too. And I would love to go there again if I learn more italian.

• Like 5

OK, blog is updated so more pictures. And again, warning, more aphids. But first, pictures before my trip to Italy.

IMG_9043.jpg

IMG_9044.jpg

IMG_9045.jpg

Capsicums and 2 Pantano Romanesco tomatoes. Proof that plants were ok before my trip. So I went to Italy, rented car from Malpensa and went to training close to Modena. Nice trip, lovely place and I got to see some friends too. Good food of course. After training was finished, I had some time for own and could do what I wanted. In theory that is. Arese was too far in that time to visit Alfa Romeo museum, I have been in Ferrari museum before. Pagani factory was close by too but I suppose its not so easy to get in. So where then? Parma and STUARD!!! If you are local and never been there, shame on you. I asked my friend to call there and he had 5 minutes conversation on phone. After that he said that he has never heard about this place and wants to go there to see what there is, it looked so interesting for him. I managed to find that place, get in and found out that none spoke english at all. I understood anyway something and was able to enter greenhouse where they have pepper plants for sale.

IMG_9095.jpg

Example pages for what they have. This is something what I have never ever seen before. Here in Finland you can see label on pot, name in it and in rare cases there is information like its capsicum chinense, thats it. Some places sells capsicums and only information is that it is capsicum. No name at all, no specie, nothing. So this was quite nice to see how things can be done properly like a professionals.

IMG_9096.jpg

Plants for sale

IMG_9097.jpg

Including tomatoes, I took this picture just because I have this same variety growing in my balcony.

All this was nice to see, good thing that I had extra time and could get there. But, then happened even more interesting thing.

IMG_9100.jpg

After I got inside the shop and bought olive oil with peppers and one peach, this happened. I found a cat that first was not so interested about me. And he did not want that I call him and try to lure that magnificent cat closer so I could pet it. Stupid tourist.

IMG_9102.jpg

After 10 minutes or so my jeans legs were covered with cat hair.

IMG_9103.jpg

And after that I could see disappointment in his eyes when I stopped petting and told that I need to get going. First time in Italy alone with rental car (by the way, Fiat 500C, lovely car but unfortunately not Abarth version available to rent), autostrada in early in morning to Malpensa was not so good idea so I went closer to airport. I had some problems in tolls in autostrada before, man yelled in loudspeaker and it really is loud loudspeaker. TURN! MONEY! WAIT!! I got some paper slip that says that I need to pay it in 10 days or else there is even bigger bill coming after. Problem was that toll boot was not working so well, did not accept money or my credit card. But italian traffic is kind a relaxing. You get space if you use turn signals which is nice. Locals did not use signals so much and in roundabouts some of people changed lines quite creative way. But no problems at all except that toll in autostrada.

Headed to Arona because its so close to Malpensa and nice city and I have been there before too. Got discount in hotel because I rented Fiat...

IMG_9104.jpg

As I was hungry, I ordered some food. Entrecote and tagliatelle con fungi porcini. "bowl" was maybe fried parmesan, not sure.

IMG_9114.jpg

Next morning in airport security line they spotted my olive oil bottle that was too big to get inside plane. And I did not have any luggages than what I carried inside plane so I needed to leave that in bin. Officer said that first time to him that someone wants to take a picture about discharged object and even ask permission first.

IMG_9117.jpg

So, more bad news. Leaving that oil behind was not so nice but I headed back to home where I can do my own version about that oil. At home, this was greeting me in my bedroom. Tiny flying things all around my window.

IMG_9118.jpg

Aphids.

IMG_9119.jpg

Aphids in Mata Frade

IMG_9120.jpg

Partially died Ekirike, thanks to aphids.

IMG_9121.jpg

Aphids.

IMG_9122.jpg

Cumari Pollux. There is something wrong in this plant. Someone might guess what is origin of the problem in this plant?

OK, so, next I need to order some more predatori di afidi. So next thursday I should pick those up in post office. Reason for that is that they send packages only on wednesdays every week. I hope 500 predators are enough for few months. I could order some ladybugs too but those are a bit expensive too. I tried to find those in nature but have not seen any in this year. Those have enough food in nature too because this aphid cloud had billions and billions aphids. I had at least 2 of these predators eating aphids, I have seen 2 of these maggots transformed to next form after cocoon. Actual maggots I have seen none. So far, this does not look so good year at all. In september, october I should take all plants inside again and hope that no more aphids in winter time. I might need to move to new building to get off finally about these lovely creatures. I hope no need to move...

• Like 3

Lonewolf

Nice reports!

Sorry for all those aphids; it's hard to grow plants inside without having to do with them, especially because lacking of natural predators.

Consider using something not too dangerous, such as neem or pyrethrum.

Even yellow sticky traps could help, for capturing and monitoring winged individuals, the first to arrive.

You visited Stuard :blink:

We know it, of course. Up to 2013, it was the main meeting point for Italian keens on chile peppers and its Capsicum magician dr. Mario Dadomo was a guide and a friend for many of us.

Unfortunately he died in autumn 2013 and things now are no longer the same ... no one there has the same passion and knowledge for chile peppers that he had ...

However, next time, leave a message on the forum; many of us live very close to Parma ;)

• Like 1

Nice reports!

Grazie mille!

Sorry for all those aphids; it's hard to grow plants inside without having to do with them, especially because lacking of natural predators.

Consider using something not too dangerous, such as neem or pyrethrum.

Even yellow sticky traps could help, for capturing and monitoring winged individuals, the first to arrive.

For me, first time to see in over 10 years growing peppers indoors. Thats one reason why I was so confused in first with these. I tried pinesoap and water but that was not so effective. Neem seems to be too messy and problematic because needs to be done in bathroom and with over 20 plants, not easy. Pyrethrum, that I could try at some point.

You visited Stuard :blink:

We know it, of course. Up to 2013, it was the main meeting point for Italian keens on chile peppers and its Capsicum magician dr. Mario Dadomo was a guide and a friend for many of us.

Unfortunately he died in autumn 2013 and things now are no longer the same ... no one there has the same passion and knowledge for chile peppers that he had ...

However, next time, leave a message on the forum; many of us live very close to Parma ;)

Yes, esatto, I visited in Stuard. And I did send a message, few hours before I went there :lol:

Dr. Mario really was a magician and will be missed greatly I suppose. In honor to him, I have Capezzoli di Scimmia growing in my kitchen. It was one of his projects to transform it to its original form. Next time I come to Italy, I will leave a message before I get in the plane and airport. It would be nice to visit other places like Stuard too. Normally I travel from Malpensa to Modena area, not so much in south.

OK. More aphids; I have been too busy and not able to check capsicums so often as should. But, I got help. Ladybug and after her babies. Pictures about that:

IMG_9163.jpg

Eggs. Those lovely yellow dots. First I did not know what those were and of course, just in case destroyed those :no:

DSCF0724.jpg

Newborn babies, those black dots

IMG_9114.jpgA week after those got bigger

IMG_9113.jpg

IMG_9125.jpgOne escaping already :cray:

IMG_9124.jpg

IMG_9189.jpg

DSCF0736.jpg

Newborn ladybug :hyper:

At home, I cut down some plants

DSCF0748.jpg

DSCF0751.jpg

Goat's Weed (Arcata)

DSCF0752.jpg

DSCF0754.jpg

Habanero White Bullet

DSCF0756.jpg

DSCF0759.jpg

Giant

DSCF0760.jpg

DSCF0761.jpg

45' Er

IMG_9144.jpg

IMG_9146.jpg

Ekirike

IMG_9149.jpgIMG_9150.jpg

Caterpillar which is now dead :cray:

IMG_9151.jpg

Inspector

IMG_9155.jpgIMG_9156.jpg

PI 593618

So, problem at home is aphids. And also that means no capsicums nearly at all. How to fix this? Buy some plants :spiteful:

IMG_9174.jpg

Harold's St Barts, capsicum chinense. 14 plants, 20€

IMG_9182.jpg

Prepare pot for plants. This is at workplace so this was natural solution

IMG_9184.jpg

Too many plants in too small pot but did not have time to buy more soil. 2 of these would be a much better but there is already about too much capsicums for me anyway for this year. Total cost 42.60€, I just "borrowed" this pallet :spiteful: In autumn its easy to move to my office to spend winter and maybe next spring its outside again if most of plants survive.

• Like 3

Tiny picture update. Aphids are still a problem for some plants, therefore I wanted to prepare for winter a bit too early as I wanted. Cut'n'wash with water and pine soap again.

IMG_9563.jpg

IMG_9564.jpg

Habanero Mustard

IMG_9565.jpg

IMG_9566.jpg

Ekirike, not so much to cut anymore, I have cut this before. Later I suppose I could cut a lot more.

IMG_9567.jpg

PI 593618, I cut only dead branches and took some leaves.

IMG_9568.jpg

IMG_9569.jpg

Aji Bravo, just trimming.

I hope that next update has more information...

• Like 1

Lonewolf

Hummm, how many aphids! :(

Specific insecticides of course could help, if you are not against their use: Neem, Pyrethrum, even sistemic insecticides if necessary.

Otherwise, daily cleaning (by hand) should avoid spread of these insects.

Yellow sticky traps are useful to catch winged individuals, the first to arrive on the plants.

Hummm, how many aphids! :(

Specific insecticides of course could help, if you are not against their use: Neem, Pyrethrum, even sistemic insecticides if necessary.

Otherwise, daily cleaning (by hand) should avoid spread of these insects.

Yellow sticky traps are useful to catch winged individuals, the first to arrive on the plants.

Neem, messy what I have heard. Pyrethrum, no, I have 2 cats and not willing to risk my cats health. Thats why I ordered those predators what was not so effective what I wanted. Pine soap is OK, non toxic and what it does is aphids suffocates and then later dies. Bad thing is that that needs to be done several times. But, now that does not matter so much anymore. Ladybugs are about all gone by now, I wanted to harvest those and try to overwinter also ladybugs because those were a bit rare here for some time now and those eat so many aphids, best natural predator around here.

Now I can start preparations for winter, season for me is about done now. And after all, season last for less than 2 months here. I have put some pyrethrum for some plants, master plan was that its easy to remember all plants what I have put poison in. A week later? :no: Some I remember but not all. But, no worries, I have cut some down again, washed, placed poison and now I have also marked the poisonous one.

IMG_9608.jpg

IMG_9610.jpg

PI 322717

IMG_9611.jpgIMG_9612.jpg

Zimbabwe Bird

IMG_9613.jpgIMG_9614.jpg

CAP 907

Cut, wash, apply some poison for these. There are more plants that needs this procedure too but not enough time / space to do that in one time. So, next few updates are similar, boring pictures about before and after cutting.

IMG_9615.jpg

Because I forgot what plants were already poisonous, I had an idea. Ice cream stick, cut in half, with marker the date when nuclear bomb was placed to soil. I could naturally do a xls file where I could write it for later purposes but this does not need to open a file :logik: Lazy? Yes.

IMG_9616.jpg

Tombstone placed in drop zone, in Zimbabwe Bird vase. Stick as a scale about size of stem, some people might know to what this leads in winter time. Scissors, smaller vase, lights etc and some testing.

IMG_9623.jpg

Terrible picture quality, 2 flexuosums what also needs a scissors at some point. Cuttings, for winter testing but now its too late to try in this winter, maybe. These has been poisoned earlier, not so much aphids but there are my precious, not taking so much chances with these. :rofl:

• Like 1