Sign in to follow this  
Nigel

CO5641 - Pure C.chacoense or hybrid?

Nigel
This is the so-called Purple chacoense, CO5641. Has anyone ideas on whether it is a pure C.chacoense, or maybe a hybrid with a purple-flowered C.annuum variety? Growth appear typical for C.chacoense, as do flowers (other than colour) and pods.

post-3308-0-04898700-1449526394.jpg

• Like 3

Lonewolf

Very nice!

It seems to have even other characteristics different from standard c.chacoense, for example dark anthers (should be yellow) and calix with less than 10 teeth (in the bud), so it could be an hybrid with C.annuum.

This kind of hybrids often produce strange plants (for example flowers without anthers), but this could be a lucky case.

• Like 2

Rapace

Interesting variety.

Does anybody have experience of cultivating it for more than one generation (producing pure seeds).

Just to understand if the features described can be considered stable.

According to my (very limited) experience crosses between white flowered and violet flowered varieties gives in F1 crosses with flower ranging from very clear (with some violet shades) to violet (not so dark as in the parent).

Sometimes violet is only present in some part of the petals.

• Like 2

Nigel

Interesting variety.

Does anybody have experience of cultivating it for more than one generation (producing pure seeds).

Just to understand if the features described can be considered stable.

According to my (very limited) experience crosses between white flowered and violet flowered varieties gives in F1 crosses with flower ranging from very clear (with some violet shades) to violet (not so dark as in the parent).

Sometimes violet is only present in some part of the petals.

I received seeds from someone in Sweden that grew it the previous year and had exactly the same result. They got it from other friends who also had the same result. It looks like it`s a stable variety, whatever it is.

• Like 2

Pr0digal_son

Very nice!

It seems to have even other characteristics different from standard c.chacoense, for example dark anthers (should be yellow) and calix with less than 10 teeth (in the bud), so it could be an hybrid with C.annuum.

This kind of hybrids often produce strange plants (for example flowers without anthers), but this could be a lucky case.

I remember 'strana strana' and my purple chacoense is growing very similar,no anthers.

25698411036_0d3e5f92cc_c.jpg

25302530753_974ce5b99d_c.jpg

25931292795_e8ee17f6e7_c.jpg

ciao

John

• Like 2

Lonewolf

Yes, this usually is the result of a cross-pollination with C.annuum

No chance to obtain pure seeds, of course

Basilboy

Someone could share pictures of whole plants. Leaves and pods please? Thanks seems really interesting

Elmonte

I didn't cultivate it this season but I also received seeds from a friend in the UK.

Has been cultivated for sure more than one generation and seems to be pretty stable.

Basilboy