Nigel

Has anyone grown PI 594141??? C.eximium?

Nigel

I`ve been looking for C.eximium types and came across this one in the USDA germplasm bank.

The accession number is PI 594141 and it is labelled as Capsicum eximium.

Here is the flower and then the fruit. While there is only a single flower photo, the fruit shows that this accession number might contain more than one type.

PI_594141_FLWR_2004_zps4776ace3.gif

PI_594141_HF_2004_zps2de70abc.gif

Lonewolf

Both flower and fruit types look like C.frutescens.

It happens often that seeds in seed banks don't match their definition and/or show mixed types.

Nigel

Thanks Claudio. C.frutescens would have been my guess, but it would have been just a guess.

Lonewolf

Found this : http://www.nature.com/hdy/journal/v104/n5/full/hdy2009131a.html

Very interesting. I'd like to try a cross with C. eximium. No loss of pungency have ever been reported in the purple genepool but this cross is feasible.

Would you know a source for seeds ?

Interesting article.

It is not clear if you search seeds of C.eximium (we have) or PI 594141 ...

samyaza

Sorry. I meant PI594141 seeds. I can't manage to find a shop selling it. C. eximium is quite easy to purchase.

C. frutescens is a key species for inter-flower-color crosses : http://www.google.com/patents/US20120066797

This accession could directly transfer pun3 to the purple flower pool, and quickly give birth to non pungent rocoto hybrids.

Lonewolf

Sorry, I've no seed of PI594141.

You seem well prepared on Capsicum genetic :)

But, why create non pungent rocotos? :lol:

Laelia

But, why create non pungent rocotos? :lol:

Ehehe! My mother would surely appreciate :lol2: they have a lovely flavour and I'm sure people that can't stand heat would love a non spicy version.. I personally wouldn't like a totally non-spicy Rocoto, but I have to admit that I would appreciate a milder one that can be cooked directly without prior blanching in vinegar to reduce hotness.. I secretly think that a little part of its flavour is lost in the blanching process along with the spiciness, and I just can't get over it. :no:

samyaza

Laelia : for sure my girlfriend, mother, father... would too ! I'm pretty fond of nice heat, but sometimes I fiery face, particularly with stuffed rocotos.

I always appreciate a mouthful sweet and tasty mild pepper, and standard bells seem poor when you have tasted a Sweet Chocolate or better, a Trinidad Perfume. I can't resist the call, particularly this smell of chinense. I'm pretty sure rocotos would make killer milds. Vegetable use would be completely new for this species. Ulupicas involved in the process may bring nice taste, too.

I'm still sending requests for this accession.