JohnF

Chile Chicanna/Chicanna Purple

JohnF

I belong to both Seed Savers Exchange and The Flower and Herb Exchange which are organizations of people who preserve varieties and share them with other members. A few years ago I got a pepper from a non chile person on the Flower and Herb Exchange. She found it growing at a Mayan ruins in Chicanna ,Mexico. She thought it was C. frutescens. I grew it and got this pepper ( not a frutescens)

A fellow member of SSE got the same seeds, grew them out and got several different plants. One of them had tiny purple pods and he named it 'Chicanna Purple' and sent me seeds. The first year the plant produced only 3 pods and 2 seeds. I over wintered it and this year it did much better, though it was late. The pods are deciduous and soft like the wild peppers. Many of the pods had few or no seeds . They are quite hot.

blast

hi john

this is a very interesting and beautifull plant with really small and dense leaves! what is the real colour of the pods?? purple or red?

JohnF

The peppers start out black/purple and turn a dark red when they are fully ripe,retaining some of the dark color

blast

Really nice... compliments John and thanks for your answer.

Bonnet

very very nice, i like the story about the origin of this plant...very interesting :o