JohnF

Pimenta Neyde or Pimenta Da Neyde

JohnF

I have it under both names. I am not clear on the species. It has multiple flowers per node but does not taste like a chinense to me. Opinions?

Lonewolf

The correct name should be Pimenta da Neyde, which means Pepper of Neyde (being Neyde the first who grew it).

It has many characters of C.chinense (including smell, in my opinion), but should be an hybrid between a C.chinense and a purple C.annuum

Bonnet

Hi John i never grown Pimenta de Neyde (i'll do next year) but i can suggest you to contact the mother of this crosses, she write on another forum called pimentas.org (neyde hidalgo) but of course maybe you already know this ;)

Negrito

It is surely Pimenta de Neyde with carattesi both of the chinenses and of the annums, as Nagalone says

post-80-1224021072.jpg

JohnF

Thanks for the responses.

PepperLover

Pimenta da Neyde (C. chinense) : this one is weird cant tell if the pod is ripe or not ...

Very Hot . and strong aroma

post-159-1224035807.jpg

JohnF

Well I tasted another this morning--I had sampled quite a few peppers the other day and think my taste buds were numb. I can now taste the typical chinense flavor.

PepperLover

yes john this one is too hot and and have very strong aroma chinense flavor ..... it very good in powder too

Lonewolf
it very good in powder too

Yes, powder of Pimenta da Neyde has a unique colour and is very hot too ...

polvereneyde.jpg

Chuck

I think this variety must be cultivated by every chilehead: very nice plant and very good fruit....

Lonewolf

I'm very curious about the origin of this variety, so I contact who better knows it ... Neyde (of course)

(Thanks to Margarida to help me with translations and first contact)

I bet nobody will imagine the true origin of this nice variety! :whistling:

Someone wish to have a try ? :sweatingbullets:

In the meanwhile ... the correct name is "Pimenta da Neyde"

---

Sono molto curioso sulle origini di questa varieta', così ho contattato chi meglio la conosce ... Neyde (naturalmente)

(Grazie a Margarida per avermi aiutato con le traduzioni e il primo contatto)

Scommetto che nessuno immaginera' la vera origine di questa meravigliosa varieta' !

Qualcuno vuol provarci ?

Nel frattempo ... il nome corretto e' "Pimenta da Neyde"

mammoccio

Dillo che vuoi farci morire di curiosità! Dai facci sapere pls :sweatingbullets:

Jumbe

VOGLIO SAPERE.

Degli altri sinceramente non mi interessa... :sweatingbullets:

Vorrei anche vedere una foto di questa ormai famossissima signora!

Chuck

Stiamo aspettando di sapere....

Lonewolf

Genetic engineering ?

Long years of patient crossing ?

Mutations selected among thousands of plants ?

:thumbsup:

None of these.

The plant grew spontaneously in the garden of Neyde ... :whistling:

Ok, so simply a lucky cross between other varieties/species she was growing ?! :ermm:

Not at all!

Neyde wasn't growing peppers yet :wacko: !!

Her passion for peppers was the effect of the discover of the Pimenta da Neyde, not the cause.

Here what Neyde herself says (thru the English translation of her grandson):

The Pimenta-da-Neyde (Neyde's Pepper), which was first called Pimenta Desconhecida (Unknow Pepper), was "born" in my garden and nobody knows how. May have come in some soil that I bought, or maybe it was brought by birds, I really don't know. I had no peppers then. When I saw that was small peppers on one of my vessels, my husband and I started to take care of it.

It grew, had beautiful fruits (to spicy for my taste), but my husband liked it a lot. I've never observed that others peppers had a different cycle of life and changed its color during its development.

Well, we noticed nobody we met knew the pepper. And we never found it in any place but my garden.

One day, in the Orkut [a social network], I found Luca, from Finland. Then, there was no Pimentas.org. My objective talking with Luca was only the exchange of pepper seeds. I told him that, despite my genuinely brazilian seeds, i had one other that was really beautiful and never changed the color... And he replied that I was probably wrong, since all peppers change colors once in its life.

Then, Cláudio, I observed it better, took photos, send it to Luca, who showed it to Fatalii. They were really curious. I sent him a lot of seeds. Meanwhile, we created the peppers forum (Pimentas.org), of which I'm proud of being one of the firsts participants.

The pepper was photografed in every possible angle and I received lots of emails. I sent seeds for a lot of different countries and for different regions of my loved Brazil. The pepper started being called Pimenta Desconhecida (Unknow Pepper). Later, with many people interested in the pepper, Luca proposed some kind of challenge to name it and... Well, they choose to tribute me with my name: Pimenta-da-Neyde (something like neyde's pepper).

Somehow, the pepper got us closer in the forum, and the site started to grow. Everyone wanted some seeds. And I distributed thousands of them. Luca, from Finland, also talked to a lot of people about the pepper and sent it to some friends. Some, like Fatalii, wrote to me, thanking. Moreover, Fatalii sent me several seeds as gifts... And I was delighted, of course.

Now, already consolidated the name Pimenta-da-Neyde, it is marketed. I knew it seeing the Fatalii Forum. And I'm very happy. But I couldn't tell you from where it came or what variety, species, it is. Of course that the collectors already cataloged it. But I like to take care of peppers and flowes and I do not study them. I'm a retired teacher who likes to look after them to fill my time with something delighting.

Now that it's over the euphoria of discovering a "new" pepper, we are in a very curious moment. Some students of brazilian universities involved in the study of biotechnology, after finding the Pimenta-da-Neyde through Google, contacted me.

Right now, there are 4 or 5 students from different universities and with different objectives, studying it. My pepper reached univesities...

This week, I received the visit of two students of UNESP (University of the State of São Paulo). They came to hear my story and request a plant of the pepper. Of course I gave them a plant already with flowers and fruits. When their studies are ready, they're gonna send it to me and I will be able to post it in the forum.

Nice story, indeed!

And a good start for a keen on peppers :sweatingbullets:

@jumbe: puoi trovare foto di Neyde su www.pimentas.org

Chuck

Una notizia sorprendente! Avere un pepper unico che cresce nel proprio giardino spontaneamente è incredibile.

Pensate solo se Neyde e il marito non si fossero curati di quella pianta....di cosa ci avrebbero privato!!

homerpaper

ciao a tutti

chiedo troppo se avete qualche semino di questa splendida pianta

ciao

Homer

Talas
Yes, powder of Pimenta da Neyde has a unique colour and is very hot too ...

post-2-1224366519.jpg

Love that powder my friend,Beautiful is it not :)