Sign in to follow this  
AlexH

Peat Based vs Coir (Coconut) Compost

AlexH

I tried a little experiment to see if there was a difference between a peat based (80% Peat) Seeding compost (I used "Vigor Plant" Semine e Trapiante) and a coir (coconut based) dehydrated pellet compost.

I planted seeds of 5 different varieties (C.Annuum: Anaheim, Demon Red, Hungarian Hot Wax, Jalapeno; C.Fructescens: Tabasco) one pot in coir and two in peat based. All have had the same temperature, light, and humidity conditions.

25 days later I can share with you the first results...

There was no fundamental difference in germination time (and I cannot comment on germination rates as the scale of the experiment is too small). However I have noticed a significant difference across all 5 varieties in terms of seedling development (hopefully you will see from these photos).

So, even though the experiment is not completely "scientific" I think I can conclude that the peat based compost is better than coir in the early stages of seedling development... I will now try to observe developments in the next growth stages! :D

post-638-1264315901.jpg

post-638-1264315908.jpg

post-638-1264315915.jpg

post-638-1264315925.jpg

post-638-1264315933.jpg

pioc

Very interesting test AlexH!

Do you can specify if the coconut coir is addicted in any macro and micro elements?

:D

AlexH
Do you can specify if the coconut coir is addicted in any macro and micro elements?

No, nothing has been added, it was just rehydrated in 100ml tap water (as per the instructions). The "dry" product is more or less what you see in the site below...

http://www.alibaba.com/product/wayambacoco...Coir_Pith_.html

pioc

Thanks! :D

AlexH

Almost one week later...

The difference in the growth rates between the two groups of plants is getting even more exaggerated!

Also, I notice that the plants in Coir have leaves that are somewhat more yellow than those in the peat. Could this be because they lack Iron? (or some other critical element for chlorophyl production...?)

I'll post some more pictures when I have a chance...!

tribo75

I read somewhere, but i don't remembere where, that for the first time it's better use only water without nutrients, it works as roots growth stimulation.

If anyone is interested in coco can take a look to this video made by Canna ( coco and solutions producer) :

part 1

part 2

part 3

Ho letto da qualche parte, ma non ricordo dove, che all'inizio ( sopratutto nell'uso del cocco o della lana di roccia) è meglio usare solo acqua senza nutrienti perchè in questo modo la pianta sviluppa meglio le radici.

infatti non trovando nutrimento queste si spingono in profondità per cercarlo, mentre se lo trovassero subito non avrebbero bisogno di espandersi.

Chi fosse interessato al processo di produzione e all'uso delle fibre di cocco può dare uno sguardo al video prodotto da Canna, un noto produttore di accessori per l acoltivazione e nutrienti in forma liquida:

parte 1

parte 2

parte 3

pioc

Also, I notice that the plants in Coir have leaves that are somewhat more yellow than those in the peat. Could this be because they lack Iron? (or some other critical element for chlorophyl production...?)

Coir does not contain fundamental nutrients (as peat has) so I suppose, in this case, yellow is due to a Nitrogenium's absence.

;)

AlexH

This is interesting... I will be interested to see if the extra root growth means that the plants will catch up with the others when they are planted out!

AlexH

Here is an update, two weeks later:

The difference is very noticable in all of the seedlings, except the Demon Red, which has much smaller leaves and seems to be slower growing. The most noticable difference is in the Jalapeno and Anaheim.

As well as the difference in development there is also definitely a difference in the colour of the leaves, with the seedlings grown in Coir having yellower leaves than those in peat.

Here are some update photos...

post-638-1265569905.jpg

post-638-1265569916.jpg

post-638-1265569928.jpg

post-638-1265569948.jpg

post-638-1265569959.jpg

cmpman1974

Coir is HORRIBLE for pepper plants. I tried last year. Don't bother!

AlexH

...so I am seeing! ...fortunately I only have 5 pots in Coir, and it was mostly to see what the differences were...

AlexH

So I come to the end of the experiment!

...it is clear that Coir is a very poor medium for growing chilli seedlings, the plants practically stopped growing, so I thought the best thing to do would be to transplant them into a peat based compost and see if they can catch up.

It was also interesting to be able to see the root development, interestingly the root development was also very poor compared with the peat based compost plants, this was a suprise as I thought that the lack of nutrition in the Coir would have led to the formation of a more extensive root system...

Here are the final photos...

The plants before transplanting (see how small and yellow they are compared with the others!):

post-638-1267294915.jpg

post-638-1267295065.jpg

The "underdeveloped" roots:

post-638-1267294981.jpg

In their "new homes":

post-638-1267295026.jpg

pioc

Thanks to AlexH for have shared this experience. :lol:

Barcello

great tinghs i see...

nice job!

AlexH

Thanks Pio & Barcello ...I'm glad you found it interesting!

After one week in the new soil and with one application of a gentle fertilizer (Borlanda) the plants have returned to a normal green colour and are beginning to grow a bit better, one even has some buds forming! :sweatingbullets: